Why do my headlights go up and down?

This is a discussion on Why do my headlights go up and down? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I repeat...why do my headlights have the capability to go up and down? And also while I'm asking dumb questions...what ...

Why do my headlights go up and down?

I repeat...why do my headlights have the capability to go up and down?

And also while I'm asking dumb questions...what is the sound my car makes after I turn the ignition off? It sounds like something is winding down for about 4-5 seconds while the car is completely off. Never heard anything like this on any other car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There are a few schools of thought on the headlight levelers. One is to adjust the headlights down if the rear end is heavily loaded, so you don't blind oncoming traffic. This is a pretty unlikely scenario on a WRX, but there you go.

The other is so you can better see the road as you crest a hill. You could aim the down to see better.

As for the cycling noise, do you have the AC on? It could be the compressor clutch winding down, or perhaps the fan. I have a 2003 and haven't noticed anything like that.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    so you can better see the road as you crest a hill. You could aim the down to see better.
    Just dip the headlights as you come over the crest. Old night-rallying trick. Better than fiddling with the adjuster. Also helps if someone's just over the top…