Subaru WRX Forum banner

Wrx maintenance?

5K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  getwrxd02 
#1 ·
Well I'm getting a wrx in the next few weeks, probably an 02-05. As I'm searching around, what maintenance should be done on one of those years with 100k-150k miles?

#9 ·
No.

The clutch in my 02 has 100K on it. On the other hand I could wreck a clutch in an afternoon.

However, the latter is very telling. I'd instinctively have a better feeling about a car that's old but with an original clutch than one that's younger and been through five clutches.

#12 ·
Yes. Both.

One way to do it, to give you an idea, is to remove the rear drive shaft, remove the front axles, remove the shifter, and separate the gearbox from the rear of the motor. This involves jury rigging a crate to the top of a hydraulic floor jack (DIY transmission jack... sigh...) to support the gearbox, and much yelling, screaming, and cursing. People one block down the street knew the clutch was being replaced.

Or you pay a pro. Figure $1K or so I guess?

#16 ·
Shop around. Prices will vary on where you go. A dealer will be more. Many people use the Exedy "OEM" clutch kit and an independent shop. Make a few calls beforehand to see what's going on in your area for rates.

#17 ·
I'm going to look at one later today. It's an 02 with 110k miles, he has new clutch, a turbo timer, 20g turbo, he had the timing belt done, he says he doesn't know about the water pump.

Anything I should ask him about specific with those mods?

#18 ·
No.

I'd not go at all personally.

Those are not the droids you're searching for.

A highly modified car is a poor choice for a first WRX, especially given the context of this thread. Find a stock car with a full service history. If there are tuners and enthusiasts in your area that are into the import car scene, don't buy their cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.