Wrx maintenance?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wrx maintenance? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well I'm getting a wrx in the next few weeks, probably an 02-05. As I'm searching around, what maintenance should ...

Wrx maintenance?

Well I'm getting a wrx in the next few weeks, probably an 02-05. As I'm searching around, what maintenance should be done on one of those years with 100k-150k miles?
    Looking for an 02-05 wrx in the Michigan area!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/mai...edule2002.html

Other MYs are on the right-hand navigation of that page.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Motor Oil, Gear Fluid, Timing Belt, Tensioners & Water Pump. If you need any of those parts let me know.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

What would a water pump run? Like installation + parts from an average shop, or is easy enough to do my self ?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WrxOnWrxOnWrx View Post
    What would a water pump run? Like installation + parts from an average shop, or is easy enough to do my self ?
    It requires you taking off the timing belt to do so.

Here is a video guide of how to do so: Meatys Subaru Timing Belt Guide (HD)(1/5) - YouTube

We actually sell a kit of all the necessary replacement parts for a vehicle of your year to change out everything in one process.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our featured brands

Quote Originally Posted by KronosPerformance View Post
    It requires you taking off the timing belt to do so.

Here is a video guide of how to do so: Meatys Subaru Timing Belt Guide (HD)(1/5) - YouTube

We actually sell a kit of all the necessary replacement parts for a vehicle of your year to change out everything in one process.
    I may hit you up somewhat soon then. I've got an 02 with 92k so I need to stay thinking about that

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rocklizzard91 View Post
    I may hit you up somewhat soon then. I've got an 02 with 92k so I need to stay thinking about that

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2
    Sounds good. You can PM me when you're ready.
    Our featured brands

How long would a 05 wrx stock clutch last? Anybody have an estimate?

I Support ClubWRX
    How long would a 05 wrx stock clutch last? Anybody have an estimate?
    No.

The clutch in my 02 has 100K on it. On the other hand I could wreck a clutch in an afternoon.

However, the latter is very telling. I'd instinctively have a better feeling about a car that's old but with an original clutch than one that's younger and been through five clutches.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    No.

The clutch in my 02 has 100K on it. On the other hand I could wreck a clutch in an afternoon.

However, the latter is very telling. I'd instinctively have a better feeling about a car that's old but with an original clutch than one that's younger and been through five clutches.
    +1 Too many factors to estimate the life a clutch. At 100k, and buying a car, I would just assume it is shot ( for financial planning) but it is entirely possible you could get another 30-40k out of it. It is nearly impossible to estimate. My first vehicle (85 f150 with straight 6, so base I am surprised it had seats) ran till 160k on stock clutch. Even with my noobness. A clutch is not the end of the world. See how it feels on a test drive and go from there.

Ok, if I did have to replace it, would it be that difficult or expensive?

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok, if I did have to replace it, would it be that difficult or expensive?
    Yes. Both.

One way to do it, to give you an idea, is to remove the rear drive shaft, remove the front axles, remove the shifter, and separate the gearbox from the rear of the motor. This involves jury rigging a crate to the top of a hydraulic floor jack (DIY transmission jack... sigh...) to support the gearbox, and much yelling, screaming, and cursing. People one block down the street knew the clutch was being replaced.

Or you pay a pro. Figure $1K or so I guess?
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Nah, I'm gonna bait a few people from Subaru forums with a 24 pack of beer* each =P

* = We're not going to Total Wine/Bevmo. But if it is a deal breaker.... MAYBE.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Nah, I'm gonna bait a few people from Subaru forums with a 24 pack of beer* each =P

* = We're not going to Total Wine/Bevmo. But if it is a deal breaker.... MAYBE.
    I heard on the radio BevMo has a buy one, get the second at 5 cents sale once in a while. Never done it though. I know they have discount cards too, like supermarket club cards but for them.

Yes. Both.

Oh ok that isn't as bad as I thought. Including parts? Or just hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast