Need help
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone I am new to the scooby family just bought an 02 WRX and loving it but I am ...

Need help

Hey everyone I am new to the scooby family just bought an 02 WRX and loving it but I am having an issue with it, a few days ago I popped a p0171 code and after hearing the spudder I changed out the A/F ratio sensor which solved the problem and the engine code went away but heres the thing I was also having issues with a hesitation once I got up to about 4500rpm 1/2 throttle and on top of that I am not getting full boost when I do go WOT it still hesitates and still only at 7psi. I thought it could have something to do with the tune from a cobb accessport version 1 its a stage 2 tune that the guy i bought it off of put on it. I accidentally forgot to reconnect the MAS to the ecu once i put it back in and it ran smoother without the hesitation. This has me baffled as far as the hesitation is concerned , why is it running smoother without the MAS then it is with. Any help wouod be great thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cubano View Post
    Hey everyone I am new to the scooby family just bought an 02 WRX and loving it but I am having an issue with it, a few days ago I popped a p0171 code and after hearing the spudder I changed out the A/F ratio sensor which solved the problem and the engine code went away but heres the thing I was also having issues with a hesitation once I got up to about 4500rpm 1/2 throttle and on top of that I am not getting full boost when I do go WOT it still hesitates and still only at 7psi. I thought it could have something to do with the tune from a cobb accessport version 1 its a stage 2 tune that the guy i bought it off of put on it. I accidentally forgot to reconnect the MAS to the ecu once i put it back in and it ran smoother without the hesitation. This has me baffled as far as the hesitation is concerned , why is it running smoother without the MAS then it is with. Any help wouod be great thanks.
    im guessin it was in limp mode :P

I Support ClubWRX
    When the car runs better without actual air flow data, it could be that those data the car got when the sensor was connected were nonsensical from the ECU's point of view.

Please list any/all modifications on the car to the best of your ability. I am guessing the car has an incorrect intake fitted.

Typically, a PO171 implies an intake problem, a vacuum problem, a boost problem, a metering problem, or a fuel pressure reference problem -- and my guess is that the order given would not be unrealistic compared to the frequency of occurence.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It does have an intake k &n, stage 2 tune from the version 1 cobb, prodrive exhuast, grimspeed uppipe, borla headers and thats all that i know.

To add to this if it did have a vacuum issue wouldnt it not be able to idle very well? Mine is holding strong at 500rpms idle.

I Support ClubWRX
    You cannot measure 500 rpm with the tachometer. The first "line" on the tack is 500 rpm. It is likely your motor is holding at ~750 rpm, and that's normal.

Whether it idles OK won't allow you to exclude a vacuum leak, a boost leak, or an intake problem. Idling bad would imply something like that going wrong, but idling OK doesn't necessarily mean you don't have one of the above issues.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Alright cool thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK great. If you continue having problems do not hesitate to post back with the full list of modifications and if you have any data logs or symptoms etc. not mentioned, those too.

Will do thanks again I will check on what has been mentioned and let yall know.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have the Cobb AP? I was able to log with the cable from that and romraider. That would tell you a lot.

7 psi is wastegate spring pressure. Either your car is so messed up your ECU is not allowing boost, or you have something wrong in the vacuum lines to the turbo/BCS (no restrictor pill, wrong size lines, T fitting). Search google images there is a pic of the stock setup that has been posted a ton. Or far less likely a mechanical issue with the turbo, exhaust, or motor.

Your MAF is installed with the connectors facing forward? Is it clean (search and read the directions carefully - the sensor is a coiled wire up inside, not just the heater bulb.

Any air leaks in the intake tract between the MAF and the turbo? Make sure the clamps are tight etc. or use a boost leak tester (properly, find the directions).
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Also, if you used a universal A/F sensor that may be the problem yet.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

The A/F sensor that I used was a denzo part number 2369011

Alright update, on the way home I hooked up the cobb accessport and read the live boost the good news with out the MAS plugged in it was reading 14.1 psi WOT, and at idle it was reading -9.3psi also when i got home it was idling a little high not sure if that was because of some spirited driving. I checked the lines coming fromt he turbo didnt see or feel anything loose but I will check again in the morning when theres light.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cubano
    It does have an intake k &n, stage 2 tune from the version 1 cobb, prodrive exhuast, grimspeed uppipe, borla headers and thats all that i know.
    You mention a Prodrive exhaust (usually, this just means the axleback). Is the stock downpipe on the car?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

No its an aftermarket one but i dont know who made this one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.