Oil
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have been using RedLine 5w30 over the past winter months here in CT. Its generally pretty cold in the ...

doa

Oil

I have been using RedLine 5w30 over the past winter months here in CT. Its generally pretty cold in the mornings. Im thinking of switching to RedLine 10w30 my next oil change because it has been starting to warm up lately. Should I switch to something thicker or would the 10w30 be fine. Just not looking to have another bearing failure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well the 5w30 works over a pretty wide temp range, but if it makes you feel better then switch. i personally run rotella t6 and have no complaints

I Support ClubWRX
    Close to you in NY I use 5w40 all year round.So far so good.I'd stick close to the recommended specs.

And may I say I love the screen name
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by doa View Post
    I have been using RedLine 5w30 over the past winter months here in CT. Its generally pretty cold in the mornings. Im thinking of switching to RedLine 10w30 my next oil change because it has been starting to warm up lately. Should I switch to something thicker or would the 10w30 be fine. Just not looking to have another bearing failure.
    5W-30 and 10W-30 are the same viscosity when the engine is warm. On cold startup, the 5W-30 would have some cold pumpability advantage at least in theory. In practice some firms use the same base stock for both oils from what I've read. I don't see the difference you are trying to achieve.

I'd run the 5W year-round. If I wanted something more viscous I'd use a 5W-40 year-round, or a 0W-40.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    5W-30 and 10W-30 are the same viscosity when the engine is warm. On cold startup, the 5W-30 would have some cold pumpability advantage at least in theory. In practice some firms use the same base stock for both oils from what I've read. I don't see the difference you are trying to achieve.

I'd run the 5W year-round. If I wanted something more viscous I'd use a 5W-40 year-round, or a 0W-40.

What he^ said. The difference between 5w-30 and 10w-30 will only be on cold start up. Also, in most cases the greater the difference between cold and hot viscosity the more resistant the oil is to shear. For what it's worth, I use 5w-40 year-round.. Rotella T6 to be specific.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Also, in most cases the greater the difference between cold and hot viscosity the more resistant the oil is to shear.
    I'm sorry my understanding was the opposite: the wider the spread, the more susceptible the oil will be to shear. However, I've not had an issue with 5W-40 so it's probably a moot point.

In fact I was just oil shopping:
    M1 5W-20 for the Honda V6
    Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 for the Impreza
    Shell Rotella T5 15W-40 for the Toyota 4.

Add gear oil for the Impreza and transmission fluid for the Honda and I'll be glad not to see oil again for a while. My back always aches after all that.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hmm.. maybe I read that wrong, but when I was reading that they were saying that 5w-40 would be a better choice than 10w-40 because it would be more stable.

Now I need to go back and read through bobistheoilguy again.. dang it.

I Support ClubWRX
    In the distant past there were specific problems with particular dino 10W-40 formulations. However within a single product range one could expect the narrow spread oils to be more stable than wide spread oils. 5W-40 is a bit of a ringer because most firms make their most robust formulations at that viscosity (think Delvac1 aka M1 Turbodiesel truck, Rotella T6 etc.).

Bob is a fun site.

just read all the comments and made my brain ache alittle. i run 10w-30 in summerand 5w-30 in winter.

then i read this quote and it pretty much made my day "Let the liquor do the thinking." Jim Lahey
    love that show haha....brb Trinity is outside selling stolen BBQ's again

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    Trinity is outside selling stolen BBQ's again
    She was supposed to stop doing that now that her dad is back to support the family. He's planted an entire field out by Highway 5 and they need to harvest it ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    She was supposed to stop doing that now that her dad is back to support the family. He's planted an entire field out by Highway 5 and they need to harvest it ASAP.
    hopefully all the $hit hawks dont go $hittin all over his new field!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Amen to that.

I need to borrow a cat to keep these damn squirrels from pissing on my plants!

waiting for corey and trevor to pick me up so we can go to the snowmobile sonic meet tonight

I Support ClubWRX
    A dope trailer is no place for a kitty, Ricky. My kitties are free range, you know that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast