Bought a wrx for cheap but with issues....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bought a wrx for cheap but with issues.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What's up fellas so I jus bought this 02 wrx with 129k miles for cheap. Here are mods: Bov not ...

Bought a wrx for cheap but with issues....

What's up fellas so I jus bought this 02 wrx with 129k miles for cheap. Here are mods:
    Bov not sure what kind
    Fmic
    Cold air intake
    Lowered on tein
    Turbo timer
    Aftermarket dp with a hole for o2 sensor? It's plugged
    Full aftermarket exhaust
    Boost gauge
    All metal piping?

Anyway here are the issues

Car boosts at 7psi but peaks at about 9.5 in third gear
    Every time I go into neutral the Rpms go all the way down then up then normal
    Recently noticed when gas gauge is low my car stalls when going into neutral
    Also sometimes in first gear the car fuel cuts at 5k rpm
    Also in third or fourth gear car hesitates around 4500rpms like it loses but then gains power nd slowly climbs up
    Oh and I found an oil leak that I'll check in the morning bc I would smell burning oil from turbo area.
    As far cel codes I'm gonna check tomorrow again I know it was something about front o2 sensor.
    Oh and also I noticed I don't have that restrictpr pill but I also have skinny hoses I believe the guy changed them out.

I know it's a lot and am kinda regretting getting this but jus couldn't let this deal slip away. Any help will be appreciated thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Full exhaust with no tune would be a reason for O2 sensor code obviously. When you check the codes you'l know though what issues you also might have.

I Support ClubWRX
    Let's see some pictures of the engine bay
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Start by fixing the front O2 sensor - that is required and is a separate issue from the DP etc. - if it is the sensor itself do not replace with a universal - you can get the right one on amazon.

It might well be your axle boot flinging grease, also check the turbo though.

The idle issue might be the IAC.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Alright thanks I'm gonna jack her up in a little bit and see what's goIng on down there. Quick question I was reading that the hole in the dp is not for o2 but for a wideband o2? And the front o2 would be around the up pipe area right?

Oh and how do I post pics up here? I have photobucket if that helps?

I Support ClubWRX
    Post the image URL from photobucket. Sounds like you need a new front o2 sensor an ECU retune at a minimum. Compounded problems are not easy to diagnose over the Internet. As for the hole in the downpipe it could be for a wideband if the stock rear o2 sensor is installed. The front o2 sensor is in the passenger side exhaust manifold.
    Last edited by Donkey; 03-31-2012 at 04:56 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Ok p0420 is the cel code I'll check for the front o2 in a sec and it does have stock rear o2

Ok here's a pic of the engine bay
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...e/ce2b9ff6.jpg

Here's one of the turbo and dp
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...e/1155708a.jpg

Here's on the t fitting where the restrictpr pill should be
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...e/fc6d4a72.jpg

I Support ClubWRX
    That bolt in the downpipe facing the trans is for a Wideband o2 sensor. Where was the other hole? I'd replace the front o2 sensor and quickly get that car to a tuner. Have them perform a leak down test and compression test replacing spark plugs. Replace the fuel filter and have them tune the car.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Have them perform a leak down test and compression test replacing spark plugs. Replace the fuel filter and have them tune the car.

On top of that, if the car isn't up to maintenance, you should go ahead and have the timing belt, tensoner, water pump, cam seals, etc. replaced along with all the other scheduled maintenance if it hasn't been done already. Of course if the engine has low compression you probably won't want to spend money for scheduled maintenance on a dieing engine. If everything checks out, and you get it all up to par you might have a boost leak test performed prior to tuning as well.. I know I always end up with boost leaks with my FMIC.

Well damn that's a lot of work... Ok I'll see what I can do evry where is closed Monday

I Support ClubWRX
    It's a lot of work but you technically bought a pile of ****... I mean sorry dude but that's someone else's headache because they didn't know what they were doing

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    they didn't know what they were doing

^this is your biggest problem here.. with the mods the previous owner chose to install, you would honestly be better going back to stock before getting tuned. You're at least going to want to ditch the BOV, CAI, and turbo timer. Those parts are going to do nothing for you but cause problems. The FMIC isn't going to do you any good at that power level either, but it might be more trouble than it's worth to remove it. And Tein springs are about the worst you could possibly get (assuming they're the H-Techs). You're probably going to need new struts too, because those springs will ruin stock struts very quickly.

I would Deff buy a Cobb sf intake and a Cobb accessport. Then I would do all the maintenance and flash to the stage 1 or 2 map once all is well and fixed. You'll be find with a fmic and bov.

Sent from my EVO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast