Humming gear noise - 2012 WRX

This is a discussion on Humming gear noise - 2012 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I have a 2012 WRX with 3800 miles, broken in very carefully. I am noticing that when I am ...

Humming gear noise - 2012 WRX

Hello,
    I have a 2012 WRX with 3800 miles, broken in very carefully. I am noticing that when I am in either 3rd or 4th gears, acclelerate and let go of the accelerator there is a humming noise from the transmission. Is this normal?

Thank you for your response

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Pretty much - maybe time to rotate your tires though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

OP, I don't mean to hijack your thread here, but I think that you question really illustrates something that I've been feeling lately. I also just recently bought a '12 WRX (2200 on the ODO) and sometimes I almost feel paranoid about every little humm I hear from the transmission, or every rough shift. I can honestly say that there have been times driving home from work where I get so sensitive to these kinds of things that I'm making stuff up in my head. I'm just really trying to tell myself that my car is not made out of glass and to just enjoy driving it and that if something was to actually go wrong that its just a car and not the end of the world. Anyone else have any thoughts on that haha?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerdanielw View Post
    OP, I don't mean to hijack your thread here, but I think that you question really illustrates something that I've been feeling lately. I also just recently bought a '12 WRX (2200 on the ODO) and sometimes I almost feel paranoid about every little humm I hear from the transmission, or every rough shift. I can honestly say that there have been times driving home from work where I get so sensitive to these kinds of things that I'm making stuff up in my head. I'm just really trying to tell myself that my car is not made out of glass and to just enjoy driving it and that if something was to actually go wrong that its just a car and not the end of the world. Anyone else have any thoughts on that haha?
    Yeah I went through all of that. I really am used to paying attention and listening all the time (I don't even play the stereo usually). Wastegate flutter, piston slap, gear whine, etc. all drove me nuts. Heck, even when it is running perfectly it sounds like it wants to just blow up all the time. Get used to it and ask, search youtube videos, go ride in a 90's outback etc. You'll get used to it and eventually be able to isolate the bad from the good. Rattles like when you shake a paint can - detonation, bad. knocking sounds on cold start, normal. Put on a DP and an UP and it will sound crazy. Do your suspension bushings - even worse!! Good Luck!

yeah change the trans mount and pitch stop for group N parts and you'll hear all kinds of nifty noises. Short shifter n bushings will also transmit a bit more of what's going on into the cabin.

After you get to know the car its all scoobie music.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    It's under warranty, so just drive it like a toy. As long as you're stock, you can leave those worries to Subaru and enjoy it. Mine is now an orchestry of pronounced noises and feelings...and I love it, because I feel connected to every aspect of my car.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Thank you for your comments. I have mine under an extended warranty - 7 years / 100,000 miles warranty. I have a contract for my tires and will get them rotated at 5K (and increments). The car is fully stock and I have babied it during the break - in period

Thanks again!

I Support ClubWRX
    One tip on tire rotation - make the first one at 1/2 the distance. If you think about it for a minute, you will realize that this will make your tires much closer to uniform throughout the whole time frame of all subsequent rotations. If you wait the full interval they are at the max difference, and will only come together at the end of the next interval. If you do 1/2 just the first time, they will never be more than one more than 1/2 the max difference and will match very closely throughout the entire mid section of each subsequent rotation.

I have also noticed that tire pressure can impact how much "lash" you hear from the transmission when letting off the gas. I have played with many combinations of pressure and am currently running 35f 33r and the car seems to like this combination and it drives real nice. Maybe check your tire pressures and make sure they are not too far from the specified 33f32r and that they are not hugely different front to rear.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just turn up the radio.....