Major hesitation and very strange sound at 5,000 RPM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Major hesitation and very strange sound at 5,000 RPM within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So the past few days my car has been acting up and i can't quite seem to figure out what's ...

Major hesitation and very strange sound at 5,000 RPM

So the past few days my car has been acting up and i can't quite seem to figure out what's causing it to do so. In first gear when I'm to the floor and the RPMs reach about 5,000 (+/- 100) the car has major hesitation and starts sounding like I've hit red-line but as soon as the revs get past about 5,500 to 5,800 RPMs it stops and acts fine until i sift. Once i get into second gear its fine and just today it did the same thing in second but not as harsh or sudden. This hesitation and almost "WOT Box" sound starts and ends at the same point in both gears (5,000) but doesn't do it in any other gears. This same thing happened to me when I was doing some fairly aggressive driving in the mud and went through a puddle, and I remedied that by changing the cone and cleaning the MAF sensor with an approved solvent. Cleaning the MAF in this case didn't help at all and was hoping someone had some insight as to what this may be.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Mods include stage 2 clutch, lightweight flywheel, TBE, lightweight crank pully, dual core radiator, short ram intake

I Support ClubWRX
    No CEL?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kawiman6565 View Post
    lightweight flywheel, lightweight crank pully
    These two things can cause misfires when used in conjuction. If you have a racelite flywheel those are known to cause misfires on their own...I'd do some logging, and that will tell you what is going on. Pretty much your only option if youre not throwing a CEL.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Both those parts have been in since i purchased the car and it never had a problem, the flywheel is a 12.5lbs one I'm told and ive never had a miss-fire with the car other than a bad coilpack. At the moment I do not have any CELS but that is because i put a non-fouler in since I don't have any cats it was throwing a code for lean, rich and two other codes that were directly caused by the removal of the cats I have the exact codes written down and will post them tomorrow since they are not with me, I don't normally get on the gas hard when the car is cold but today I did to see if there was a difference and the hesitation and "redline" sound is worse when its cold and lasts from about 5,000 rpms to 6,250 rpms. Thank you for the help

I Support ClubWRX
    This isn't a real common scenario, and is really hard to guess at. It could be so many things I'd recommend having it diagnosed. Could be as easy as some seafoam and I don't want to even suggest the bad end of the spectrum.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

My apologies for not replying quickly I was away from home for a few days and have talked to a friend that is very familiar with Subarus and he said the same thing, to just get it diagnosed. I'll post what the outcome of this is when I do so and again thank you all for the help!

A little old, but thought I'd chime in.

My 2010 was completely stock when I got it. I quickly decided to get a typhoon K & N intake. Installed it and quickly noticed that in first and second gear I would get a lot of hesitation at 4k - 4.5k rpms. After 5k it would clear up.

I installed the original intake, and presto!!! Problem solved. K & N says you dont need a tune....i disagree.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kawiman6565 View Post
    At the moment I do not have any CELS but that is because i put a non-fouler in since I don't have any cats it was throwing a code for lean, rich
    Removing the catalytic convertors does not cause a lean or rich code. The problem is probably the intake and no engine management. Without a datalog correctly diagnosing this over the internet is slim to none. Where exactly did you put the anti fowler?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey
    Where exactly did you put the anti fowler?
    Hopefully locked in the cabinet with the other guns.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

The intake can cause issues because of the oil on the filter getting on the MAF. The typical behavior of a fouled MAF is hesitation at about 4-5k RPM not only in Subarus but in most cars in general. It usually manifests itself at about 2/3 of redline.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I didn't see it anywhere, but are you tuned for the intake?

If so, it could be a bad tune.

It could be possible you are hitting 'fuel cut' due to an over-boost situation. Can you do any datalogging? I don't believe fuel cuts come up at CELs strange enough if you have your overboost stuff set higher.

More than likely not, but something to look into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I seem to have developed roughly the same issue as the OP. I have an '05 WRX with only the stock STi DP and exhaust as modifications.

I get all the same symptoms, hesitation at half to WOT around 4-5K RPM. I did another pull recently to see if it wasn't just in my head and that time I actually heard a rattling noise coming from the engine bay. I'm going to double-check my CEL tonight to make sure it's still just the P0546 code that I've been ignoring.

Seems like the best thing to do right now is take it in to get diagnosed from what I'm reading. I figured I'd post just in case anyone came across anything new.

Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast