Bent valve, repair cost and value ?

This is a discussion on Bent valve, repair cost and value ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Have I think two bent valves and I want to see what you guys have spent to do a valve ...

Bent valve, repair cost and value ?

Have I think two bent valves and I want to see what you guys have spent to do a valve job to see if its worth it to keep the car and do the repair or just sell it and take a loss. If I did sell the car what could I get for an 02 wrx 97k miles 5spd rebuilt 5k ago, tein coilovers, blow off valve and strut bar?

Thanks in advance
    Curt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Off the top of my head, I would expect around $1100 to R&R the engine, maybe $300 to R&R the heads, another $400 for the valve job, plus parts, new headstuds, etc. So you're looking at about $2000, give or take a few hundred.

KBB lists your car value at $7,931 if it's in "good" condition. Mods don't add to the value.. if anything they should detract from the value of the car.

I completely agree and completely regret buying this car. Ill be doing all the work myself so I just need prices on parts. With bent valves ill be luck to see 5 or so than.

I Support ClubWRX
    Look around for a known good used engine and consider that too, it might save money (if it's a good motor, that is).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Just wondering, what makes you think you have bent valves? Timing belt go while driving?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Why don't you get a leakdown/compression test to confirm there is an issue?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Motor ticks like no other and only after something happened with the timing while messing with it after doing a trans rebuild. Car started and made some whack noises, checked the timing but when I loosened it it slipped and didn't realize when putting it back together. Big mistake. Where could I find a used engine and how much?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleshwound View Post
    Where could I find a used engine and how much?
    The obvious answer is a used auto parts place and the $$$ varies. There is no set price for used motors. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market or search the classifieds.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Of course, I was just asking more of a ball park number, like the average most pay for a used engine. Ill have to do some researching

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I was going to sell my spare ej205 for $1000+ shipping.. but after I pulled it I noticed that the timing cover was damaged, and I can see one of the cam gears is broken and the belt is shoved back. I still need to pull the cover off and check to see if the belt jumped.. if not I'll probably do a compression test before I go ahead and sell it. Hopefully it doesn't have bent valves too.

Major bummer