07 STI pulls hard to the right after a tire change over???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 07 STI pulls hard to the right after a tire change over??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Switched over from my winter tires to my summer set yesterday and this morning I noticed that the car pulls ...

Exclamation 07 STI pulls hard to the right after a tire change over???

Switched over from my winter tires to my summer set yesterday and this morning I noticed that the car pulls hard to the right now. It is noticeable and was not doing it with the winter set on them. It does this on some pretty decent roads that are flat and after about 3 seconds it starts to pull. Is this just as simple as needing a new alignment and if so why would a tire change over cause that?
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Did anything else get changed? What's the difference in width between your summer and winter wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Did anything else get changed? What's the difference in width between your summer and winter wheels?
    nothing else changed. I'll have to check the width when I get home. I had these summer tires on before, had them removed and the brand new winter ones put on and just now switched back over to the summer set I had previously

I Support ClubWRX
    Mine pulled pretty bad after my first tire rotation and an alignment. Ended up seeing why when I pulled them off next.... Factory alignment was bad enough on the passenger rear tire it wore the tire unevenly. Put the uneven one upfront and that'll do it.

Finally getting replacements this week followed by an alignment touch up. A $100 alignment doesn't look so bad when there is a 1k set of tires to kill. Can't wait for my summers to aim straight again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Is there anyway to tell which tire could be worn uneven if that is the issue other then looking visually just b/c there is not much wear on these set of tires anyway? It almost seems like its the passenger side front b/c of the way its pulling but being AWD I'm sure its not easy to really tell

I Support ClubWRX
    well, turn the wheel all the way to the left and measure the tread depth of the passenger side front tire...inside/middle/outside tread depth....all three should be about the same.

turn the wheel all the way right, and measure the tread depth of the driver side front tire, again with all three measurements. these should also be the same.

You don't really need a ruler or anything, measuring how far up a penny the tread goes will suffice if you are wanting to know which one is uneven.

It is more likely that it is the front tires than the backs if it is steering the car to one side. Rear pull would present differently.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Thanks Demon, I'm home now so I'll check that out

Gotta throw the dumb question out there, so please don't take this as an insult...but you're positive you have proper tire pressures in all tires right?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Check pressures.
    Check tread.
    Switch wheels side to side and see if the problem follows a wheel or if it persists. If it follows a wheel, suspect tread issues. If it stays on the same side, suspect alignment issue.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

My tire pressure gauge is in my roommates car and my roommates at work so I cant check the pressure at the moment. The tread depth is the same on the inside/outside of each tire. I can check it with my pressure gauge tomorrow.

or go to a local gas station with an air pump...it will have a gauge built in.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I'll check it when I get home tomorrow.To much of a PITA to do it on the way into work in the morning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R View Post
    My tire pressure gauge is in my roommates car and my roommates at work so I cant check the pressure at the moment. The tread depth is the same on the inside/outside of each tire. I can check it with my pressure gauge tomorrow.
    My tires were noticeably worn unevenly. I could notice the difference just by rolling the tire to the car from the basement that two of the tires were bad and one was terrible. Check out spiros's (SD) advice if the tire pressure doesn't yield results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

The Tire PSI read 35-36 on all but the drivers side front it was up to 44 PSI. I put it down to 35 and took it out for a quick drive and it seemed to be better but still pulled to the right sometimes but not as bad or as often as before. Its hard to tell if it is still an issue or if its just the uneven roads in some places. Could the PSI being 10 higher then the others cause it to pull like that?

I Support ClubWRX
    You've already proven the pressure is a problem. I suggest you test whether pressure is the problem now. See above.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.