02 WRX will crank over but will not start.

This is a discussion on 02 WRX will crank over but will not start. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 02 WRX will crank over but will not start. Story goes as follows, the previous owner was installing a ...

02 WRX will crank over but will not start.

My 02 WRX will crank over but will not start. Story goes as follows, the previous owner was installing a stereo system with the battery connected while doing this somehow something shorted out and now the the car will crank over but wont start. It has Spark and is getting fuel per dealership, so I'm assuming that it is electrical? Is there anything I should check? Any help would be greatly appreciated..... Also the car ran perfect before them trying to install the speakers in the rear.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Wait.....did you buy the car when it wasn't able to even start? Or did he mess something up after you owned the car? Have you checked all the fuses? Both under the hood and behind the coin tray in the dash. Are there any CEL's?
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Yeah I had bought the car after the fact. I had spoke to a dealer before buying the car and they said most likely its either the ECU or a short in a relay. I have no clue where to start on those, the ecu is getting checked out right now but as far as a relay or ground issue any ideas on where to begin?

Is there any particular relay that would allow the car to crank over but not start that I need to check? Anyone help please....first Subaru I've owned and is a whole different ball game for me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Electrical systems on cars are diagnosed all the same. Doesn't mattter if is Honda,Subaru,Chevy,Ford.......whatever. There are a buch of thigs that will cause a car to crank but not start. Not wise to have bought a car that didn't run if you are not familier with auto diagnostics. Hell, they or the previous owner could have just made the story up about whats really wrong with it. Could be fuel pump,timing belt,ECU,bad ground,electrical short,blown fues,bad electrical connection,bad cam sensor,bad crank sensor..........................
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

My good friend is neighbors with guy I got the car from so it wasn't a transaction with a complete stranger. The car ran perfect before this guy tried installing speakers with the battery still connected. The mechanic at the dealership confirmed that its getting spark and fuel, compression was also good. Just curious to see if it could still be the ecu if it's getting spark and fuel. Or if it could be a relay?

did you disconnect the battery while doing the install? Check that the cables are fastened to your battery...

The guy didn't disconnect the battery when trying to install the speakers. After he had grounded or shorted something out the car wouldn't start.