Amsoil?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Amsoil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys (and gals), I'm almost at the 10,000 mile mark on my Ej257 hybrid. I know from around that ...

Amsoil?

Hey guys (and gals), I'm almost at the 10,000 mile mark on my Ej257 hybrid. I know from around that point onward, I can use synthetic oil. Conveniently, there's an amsoil dealer very close to me, and I've heard really good things about their oil from people who treat their vehicles well and are close friends with me. But, I figure I'll ask anyway- Does anyone have any better suggestions, issues they have with amsoil, or a suggestion for which amsoil product to use specifically? For instance, I've heard talk about some oils being too thin for some of the Ej motors when you use the recommended weight. Would that be something I should factor in for amsoil? And come to think of it, I noticed EFI put a little oil in when they tuned it, and they used 10W30, though the manual (and the builder of the engine) said 5w20, and I don't quite know what to think of that. I'm intending on calling EFI to inquire about that one, but first I have to not be at work throughout their hours.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Great motor oil, used it for a long time and started switching to ENEOS brand. You can use the 5w30, just keep an eye on your oil level frequently. It doesn't burn as easily like Mobil 1 especially if you're going extended mileage (past 3k miles per change). Problem is when people don't keep an eye on their oil level and just think they are on synthetic they can go 10k miles...meanwhile they are extremely low on oil because of blow by and oil burning off over time because of thin oils.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not a fan of Amsoil's business plan. Therefore I won't purchase any of their products.

With that being said, I've heard good things about their oil.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    I do not use Amsoil products. There is never a need to do so.

I used to consider their marketing practices insidious, misleading, pushy, and tasteless. However, in all fairness I've since then reconsidered my stance and I now like them much less.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    All they do is multi-level marketing which is what a decent amount of mid-level companies do. Their pay scale is another story.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Generally speaking oil is oil... But, when extended oil-change intervals are/is used, I do use AmsOil synthetic 5W40 Euro with their synthetic filters and never had a problem. I go 7,500 Miles between oil changes and my oil level is about 1/8" below F...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have friends who swear by it, but I myself swear against it. I refuse to use another Amsoil product ever again based on my experience with it, and yeah their business practices are less than stellar.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Eneos, Rotella, And German Castrol seem to be the favs amongst the Subaru Crowds.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

AmsOil, AmsOil, AmsOil, AmsOil, AmsOil...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Hmm, all very interesting information. I wouldn't know where to get anything but the amsoil though- the auto parts stores around here suck, and barely ever even have the 5 quarts I need of anything even remotely suitable. And thanks donkey for that link.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you can tolerate visiting a Walmart, they usually have excellent deals on 5QT jugs of Mobil 1 and/or Shell Rotella T6. If shopping M1, consider the 0W-40 or the 5W-40 "Turbodiesel truck" whereas if shopping Shell, go for T6 5W-40. Any of these can be used year-round anywhere outside the polar circles and some extreme desert regions (you're not in AUS, Death Valley, or the Kalahari so for you the answer is "yes" anyway).

Although Walmart in general is aggravating and to some extent almost as offensive as Amsoil, albeit for different reasons, at least there is some solace in the fact that their motor oils and a few other items (e.g., Parker pens, and any ammunition I've ever bought there, from .22LR to .40S&W and anything in between) are made in the USA or the EU.

Also, some Walmart locations stock STP filters, and these are known to have the correct bypass setting for our application. If you do not care about the bypass pressure setting anyway, I believe the Walmart store brand filters are made by Champion and if so they are good quality items.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.