Did the dealership try to kill me?

This is a discussion on Did the dealership try to kill me? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, so just picked up my '12 5 door PBP WRX about 2 weeks ago. Been driving it and enjoying ...

Did the dealership try to kill me?

Ok, so just picked up my '12 5 door PBP WRX about 2 weeks ago. Been driving it and enjoying the hell out of it with one minor hiccup. Last week the TPMS malfunction light went off. I called the dealership and made an appointment to bring it in. It went away the same day and was gone for a few days but came back again today. So I parked it and figured I'd check the tire pressure (Couldn't be low right? it's brand new) and let it cool down for about 2 hours so I'd get a good pressure reading. The tires when cold were at 50 PSI... the tire says the MAX is 51 PSI and the label inside the door says tires should be at 33 PSI...

Have I been driving on high pressure time bombs the last two weeks? Could one of these tires have exploded on me? Also, did driving on them at that pressure for a couple weeks damage them? I'm not a big do it yourself guy with cars so I don't think of the little stuff sometimes. I probably should have checked the tire pressure when I got it home but jeez, I figured I could trust the dealership to check the tires when they did their pre-delivery inspection (I know, don't trust the dealer, I'm learning that too.)

I'm trying to figure out how pissed to be and whether or not I need to ask for new tires... advice please?
    Last edited by SnoopyTRB; 03-19-2012 at 04:46 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For just 2 weeks of driving on overinflated tires you'll never see the difference in tire wear. Possibly if you had tracked or raced the car the tires could have overheated, but probably not, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't know if this applies to Subaru but some TPMS systems require that the tires be overinflated before they will activate/reset. Maybe the dealership did that as part of the PDI and forgot to adjust them later.

That happened to me with my Honda Odyssey years ago. I couldn't believe how high the pressure was once I noticed it. I wouldn't sweat it. In fact, be glad it wasn't the other way around.
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Coming from a Subaru Tech... When the cars are shipped they are set to near max tire pressure to avoid any slop while they are strapped down. Part of the Pre Delivery Inspection(PDI) is to adjust tire pressure, which is usually not an issue. However, sometimes when a delivery from the dealer is rushed or performed by someone not familiar with all the checks, it can be easily missed. Your sales person SHOULD also check it prior to delivery, but in reality that rarely happens. It just comes down to it, it's just human error along the way.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Eco-Mod View Post
    Coming from a Subaru Tech... When the cars are shipped they are set to near max tire pressure to avoid any slop while they are strapped down. Part of the Pre Delivery Inspection(PDI) is to adjust tire pressure, which is usually not an issue. However, sometimes when a delivery from the dealer is rushed or performed by someone not familiar with all the checks, it can be easily missed. Your sales person SHOULD also check it prior to delivery, but in reality that rarely happens. It just comes down to it, it's just human error along the way.
    ^Hoping this individual sticks around. Welcome to the club
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Well I feel better at least. I gave the service manager a bit of crap about it when I dropped the car off. As revenge he gave me a bright yellow 2012 Beatle as a loaner. It is as terrible inside as it looks outside...

Also the sales guy forgot to tell the service guys I was coming. Go figure right? Hopefully they get it done tomorrow like I was told it would be.

What tire pressure do you people run? I backed my tires off to about 38 PSI and am debating if I want to run them all the way down to what the sticker says or leave them a bit higher.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just so we are sure you understand, 50PSI is the max cold temp. That assumes that they will be considerably higher when heated up driving, and not explode.

Does your door placard call for different PSI front to rear? Both our older Subies do - it was supposed to help the differentials because the motor squishes the fronts more. It handles better with even pressure though. I go 36/34 winter to 38/36 summer. The Subaru dealer here sets them all to 40PSI because there are so many curvy roads people wear the edges off at normal pressures (32/29 is what mine says IIRC). I like a little more compliance than that.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

It does call for different pressure but it's really close. It's 33/32. The car is my daily driver and the route to work has lots of curves so if keeping the pressure up a bit will help I may do that.

Yeah, I understood that the cold PSI meant it would get higher after warming up. I'm guessing it was getting so high it was causing the TPMS to panic and thus give me the malfunction light. Only happened on warm days (80F or so) after an hour or so of driving.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yup, they were definitely trying to off you. You live in O'fallon. Since apparently the dealership seems to feel that you should kick that nasty oxygen habit, just head on over to Jerzeys for a couple drinks. Someone will definitely shank you there.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopyTRB View Post
    Well I feel better at least. I gave the service manager a bit of crap about it when I dropped the car off. As revenge he gave me a bright yellow 2012 Beatle as a loaner. It is as terrible inside as it looks outside...
    Haha

I noticed the pressure high as well after picking my '11 at the dealership. I did drive it off the lot about 3 hours after it was delivered but missing things on the check list, how many do you miss before its not just okay?

I think I'd better go check my tire pressure
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    When I reinstalled my summers I checked the pressure and realized I had them at 38/36....I dropped them down a bit (36/34) cause it felt a bit squirrely after the snow tires....slight movements of the steering wheel actually changed the direction...now that I am back to used to the summer grip and responsiveness, I may be putting them back up to 38/36
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

*sigh* I had dropped my tires to about 38 PSI a piece (still need to pick up a digital pressure gauge) but the dealer went ahead and adjusted it to the sticker pressures, it feels sloppier now. I don't really like it, will have to inflate the tires back to where I want them.

Also the dealer screwed up the scheduling for the tint job I asked for, so wasted 4 hours driving back and forth and didn't get my car tinted. I did get a free tank of gas and all-weather floor mats though. haha

I think on my summers I'm going to shoot for 38/37 since the sticker has a 1 PSI difference between front/back I will go ahead and maintain that. I just like the way the extra PSI makes it feel.