01 WRX won't start sometimes
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 01 WRX won't start sometimes within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi. My first post on this site. Didn't find any help from my country (Estonia) forum. Hope your more generous ...

01 WRX won't start sometimes

Hi.
    My first post on this site. Didn't find any help from my country (Estonia) forum. Hope your more generous
    Problem is that at some times ( 1 out of 10 or 20, depends) my car won't start correctly. It will start 2-3 times for 1 second and shut off. After that no signs of starting, but the starter is pulling the engine. Usually it has started after 10-20 minutes of waiting.
    Can it be that the fuel pump is pumping too much gas into the engine, because I kind of smell the gasoline after starting?

BW
    Tõnnu

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Usually this is a cam or crank position sensor. I'd start with the crank position sensor because it's easier to get to. It's right under the alternator.

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree with above. First step would be to clean off the sensor faces of both. Next would be replacement.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Open and cleaned both sensors. Camshaft sensor was changed by last owner 4 months ago and it seemed like new.
    But crank sensor seemed liked peace of sh*t. It was all covered with somekind of black thing, but it came off pretty easily. No wonder that it could have been the problem.
    So far everything seems to work now.
    Good job guys!

Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.
    Tactrix Openport didn't show any problems at all.
    May the problem be in IAC valve? Im asking, because sometimes something goes crazy in my car and revvs are changing between 1500- 2500 rmps, doesen't matter if idle or I'm driving. They will go down after draiving 10 min or so.
    If this is not the thing thats causing the problem then my brain is going to blow.

I Support ClubWRX
    Without the rev symptom I'd have said "no;" however with the rev symptom I believe the IAC is worth pursuing. Get yourself a new little o-ring thingy from a dealer and have a look. It certainly won't hurt.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Sorry about my newbiness, but what's the o-ring thingy

I Support ClubWRX
    Hold on, I'm searching for a IACV DIY thread and will link it if/when I find it.

EDIT: OK here:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781242

The "thingy" is called a "gasket" it turns out. The part no. given in the (dated) thread is 22659AA120. You should be able to source one with that number.

EDIT 2: Saw your query on another thread. I recommend cleaning the valve rather than replacing it. You may not need to replace it. See the link above.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-28-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.