another P0420 thread
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on another P0420 thread within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; As I'm sure many of you know there are millions upon millions of P0420 threads. Many of them because of ...

another P0420 thread

As I'm sure many of you know there are millions upon millions of P0420 threads. Many of them because of exhaust mods.

Anyway I did my searching and the only thread I found satisfactory was this one. P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)?! - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums

As I was driving to work today my cruise control stopped working, the check engine and tcs off light came on. The "cruise" light now blinks steadily at all times. I took it to o'rileys and used the code reader. I got "P0420 Catalyst System efficiency below threshold (bank 1)". There are no mods on the car currently. Should I do like the thread suggested and replace the rear o2 sensor? Car is an 08 wrx.
    Ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Check the emissions control warranty for your car. Not the 36K bumper to bumper nor the 60K drivetrain, but the emissions control warranty specifically. It may still cover you. It will list what components are covered. If you're under that warranty, INSIST the car is repaired for free and if it is not get it in writing and contact EPA.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Check the emissions control warranty for your car. Not the 36K bumper to bumper nor the 60K drivetrain, but the emissions control warranty specifically. It may still cover you. It will list what components are covered. If you're under that warranty, INSIST the car is repaired for free and if it is not get it in writing and contact EPA.
    How do I look up the emissions warranty? The car is also prior salvage, I didn't buy it new. Would it still be covered?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrl-alt-delete View Post
    How do I look up the emissions warranty? The car is also prior salvage, I didn't buy it new. Would it still be covered?
    It's in the owner's manual or a separate little booklet in the same pouch. For salvage, I don't know, sorry.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It's in the owner's manual or a separate little booklet in the same pouch. For salvage, I don't know, sorry.
    Unfortunately these days it seems the first thing someone does is throw out the owners manual. Its something that really boggles my mind. I've never bought a car that came with the owners manual.

I Support ClubWRX
    Argh, sorry. OK well first things first, check the wiring. Since the car is unmodified it could be a bona fide fault code from the sensor, so think wiring - sensor in that order.

Argh, sorry. OK well first things first, check the wiring. Since the car is unmodified it could be a bona fide fault code from the sensor, so think wiring - sensor in that order.
    Oh boy....I wish This happened a year ago. I no longer have the time or space to work on my own car. Is there a general place where I should start looking at the wiring? I'm guessing nearest to the sensor would be a good place to start? I'm ashamed to say though that I know nothing about the car. When I'm not at work I'm studying.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's either the sensor or there is an issue with the catalytic convertor.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes follow the wiring starting backwards at the sensor and checking for frays etc. otherwise suspect the sensor itself, in which I have less faith than the cat because the sensor is electric whereas the cat is a metallic mesh. Suspect the cat itself only last I think.

Suspect the cat itself only last I think.
    Thats what I'm thinking as well. Its doubtful (yet possible) that something is wrong with the cat after only 33k miles.

I Support ClubWRX
    We had a thread a long time ago where one clogged somehow. Don't know your car history but at four years for a cat to fail would be discouraging. Not impossible but I hope improbable.

Is there a "how to" for replacing the rear o2 sensor around here somewhere? I saw one for the front sensor but nothing on the rear.

I Support ClubWRX
    It doesn't get more basic then just unpluging it and unscrewing it. Look at the service manual..........
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    It doesn't get more basic then just unpluging it and unscrewing it. Look at the service manual..........
    Well I know that much lol (and forgot I had the service manual). I was referring to the location of the sensor on the exhaust. Also is there a way to test the sensor to make sure its bad? A new one is $125......don't feel like spending that much for nothing.

I Support ClubWRX
    The service manual shows you a picture of exactly where it is. There are only two. One before the turbo and one after. By merely looking under the car you would see exactly where the sensor is located. The service manual will give the full troubleshooting "tree" for a P420 DTC. It is located in the OBDII section. Have you even tried looking through the manual at all?
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.