Trouble Starting 04 Subaru

This is a discussion on Trouble Starting 04 Subaru within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Recently I purchased a 2004 Subaru Wrx, the motor was blown, so I (owning a mechanic shop) did a motor ...

Trouble Starting 04 Subaru

Recently I purchased a 2004 Subaru Wrx, the motor was blown, so I (owning a mechanic shop) did a motor swap on it. (I purchased an ej20, which was twin turbo, but converted it to single turbo) Everything fit perfect, and everything is in right. All wiring, and fuses, etc. The motor turns over, but it wont start completely. If anyone has a clue why, and would help me, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    All the sensors from the US ECU connected to somewhere on the foreign market motor?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the response, but i kept everything from the original motor, all the sensors are from original motor. (intake, wiring, wiring harness, all hoses) only thing that is replaced is the engine itself, everything is original.

I Support ClubWRX
    Are there any CEL codes? If yes, please post code numbers. If not, treat like any other motor -- spark, fuel, air checks etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Are there any CEL codes? If yes, please post code numbers. If not, treat like any other motor -- spark, fuel, air checks etc.
    Yes exactly spark fuel air.

I'm really wondering about that motor you bought that since you said it had a twin turbo setup. Nobody runs a twin turbo on these motors. Makes me wonder what else about that motor isn't normal. Do you know what injectors, cams, etc are in it? It could easily not start because it had the bits and pieces to support a twin turbo setup. How do you know it had the twin setup?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Alright well I got it running but the boost doesn't seem to kick in,like a lag sort of thing, if you want to help me out on that

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Yes exactly spark fuel air.

I'm really wondering about that motor you bought that since you said it had a twin turbo setup. Nobody runs a twin turbo on these motors. Makes me wonder what else about that motor isn't normal. Do you know what injectors, cams, etc are in it? It could easily not start because it had the bits and pieces to support a twin turbo setup. How do you know it had the twin setup?
    EJ20TT, just not USDM.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxsedan101 View Post
    Alright well I got it running but the boost doesn't seem to kick in,like a lag sort of thing, if you want to help me out on that
    Did you put the stock boost control system back together correctly with the right tubing ID, T fitting, and restrictor pill?

See pic on pg. 2:
    http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/ima...mWorksv109.pdf

Is the compression on that the same as on a USDM EJ205 that the stock tune (map) is built for? Which heads are you using?
    Last edited by mycologist; 03-14-2012 at 05:37 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    GC8 impreza Ej20 Subaru Swap FAQ and info resource: engines jibber jabber

There were apparently some higher compression versions - if it is over 8:1 I think it is going to knock on the stock tune.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post

Did you put the stock boost control system back together correctly with the right tubing ID, T fitting, and restrictor pill?
    This.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S