Any good turbo cleaners?

This is a discussion on Any good turbo cleaners? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, so instead of spending my spring break drunk on a beach in Mexico this yr, i decided id ...

Any good turbo cleaners?

Hey guys, so instead of spending my spring break drunk on a beach in Mexico this yr, i decided id stay at home and spend my money fixing up the Scooby. I plan on installing my springs, up pipe, down pipe, shifter bushings, break pads, painting my rims (gold), and intake manifold (red). I also want to take of my turbo and clean out all the sludge built up in there, I was wondering if anyone knows a good and safe cleaner i can use? Also is there anything i should be aware of when removing the turbo? Any other maintenance i should do while i have everything apart? Car is at 90k miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The turbo requires no maintenance. I don't know what sludge you're worried about. It is not a part that requires any attention, and ideally this will be for the life of the car (and beyond; you should in other words be able one day to find working turbos still attached to wrecked cars in junk yards etc.).

Where in Mexico?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well the reason i feel like there's a build up in there is bc of the build up i found on the TB and the rest of the piping. I know the previous owner never maintenance this car. But some times i feel like when the turbo spools up its kind of jerky. Like the turbine take more force to spin. But idk maybe thats just how a small turbo is. I just figured id take a look at it after seeing how the rest of the car had been taken car of.

I Support ClubWRX
    You could consider cleaning out the IC if there is oil residue, but oil residue in the IC is normal.

Do the full 90k maintenance following the owner's manual to the letter. This means all fluids, all filters, and all checks. Should be hours of fun. Prefer authentic parts and refer to sticky threads for info on fluid choices if necessary.

I would only consider removing a turbo if it has failed. Yours has not.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

That's quite a list, what year is your WRX?
    I agree with SR_GR, don't take the turbo off. Getting the coolant and oil lines back on is an unnecessary pain at this point (since you're not upgrading or replacing a dead turbo).
    A little bit of oil is normal, but if you're worried about it please take a look at an Air Oil Separator (AOS).

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    An catch can or air oil seperator will cut down on oil in the intake system and if you want to help clean out the exhaust side of the turbo, look into amsoil power foam (similar to seafoam but i prefer amsoils product).
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS