Need some advice

This is a discussion on Need some advice within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2003 WRX. Recently a couple of months ago the timing belt went out while driving on the ...

Need some advice

I have a 2003 WRX. Recently a couple of months ago the timing belt went out while driving on the highway. I know that is a really bad thing and yes the timing belt had been replaced within the last 2 years. My Rex has about 121k miles on it the belt was changed out at 100k along with the water pump. The service shop that changed the belt has a 2 year 20k mileage warranty....I was past the 20k so they would only cover the parts not the labor. The labor was going to be $500 just to replace the belt to see if the engine would turn over....which it probably wouldn't. I decided to have it towed to my house and have kept it in my garage since. My original plan was to try and replace the belt myself, but that is too daunting a task for someone like myself with very limited automotive repair knowledge.

So, my question is this. What is my best course of action?

Do I try to sell it as is to someone who is looking for it to rebuild or for parts?

Do I part it out and sell the parts individually?

Do I just scrap it and sell it to a junk yard?

Do I try to take the time to fix it myself?

At this point I want to get as much money out of it as I can....considering that I now have a car payment again since I had to buy a new car.

It pains me to have to give up on what was my dream car, but money is tight and I just do not have the time nor knowledge to fix it myself.

Thanks all,

Dubs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Find out what happened. "Went out" isn't what happened. Did the belt snap, did a roller or the tensioner seize causing it to jump, or what?

Depending on what happened, figure out whether it's worth putting a belt on to see if it spins or not. Let's say it's not. In that case, figure out whether you and a few friends can buy a used motor and replace the entire thing, or how much a different shop will charge for that, compared to parting out the car or selling it as is.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Sorry...went out was a bit too general of a statement. The belt snapped. You can physically see it hanging down under the car.

hey,
    if your going to part it out then, ill take your side marker lights. Should be the orange ones on the left and right fender. let me know.

If you were driving on the highway when it went out, it more than likely grenaded the heads. So those at least would need to be rebuilt or replaced. I wouldn't spend the $500 in labor to just "see" if you can turn the engine over...

You can replace the heads or have them rebuilt...swap in a used longblock from the same year or similar year that you can purchase from somewhere for a $2k ($1k+ in labor probably, but still the probable cheapest option for getting it back on the road), or sell the car as is with a non-working engine. You'd probably get a $3-4k if not more from that sale. If you don't have the money to get it back on the road, I'd sell it whole as-is non-working.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yeah selling it as non-working was going to be my first option. I cannot afford the time and money it would take to get it back on the road....no matter how much I would love to do that. I thought parting it out would,in the long run make a bigger profit, but that again is a time issue.

Yeah in the real world with many things, time=money. It would take you a lot of time to remove a lot of parts.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Any advice on where to attempt to sell? It would need to be locally.

I Support ClubWRX
    That belt should have been very strong. For it to snap while essentially new is surprising. I wonder if something seized. In any case you're probably looking at the worst-case scenario, shaved valvetrains everywhere, so it's either time for a used motor swap or to say goodbye. See which has the best $ ratio in your area and decide. Sorry.

Do you know what brand of belt was used?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Other than the blown engine, how is the condition of the rest of the car? If it is in good shape, it would be a pity to scrap/junk it. I'm sure someone out there is looking for a bugeye to fix up, though it may take longer to sell with the blown engine.

Man, that really sucks. So sorry to hear
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Put it up on the Classifieds here...especially Classifieds on Nasioc...and throw it up on Craigslist.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Like it's already been stated, you're probably looking at a worst case scenario. With these zero clearance motors a broken timing belt generally leads to catastrophic failure. A few things can happen here though.

Best case: Replace the timing belt and you get lucky. It may fire right up and you can go on your happy way. This is the lease likely scenario and I would not suggest this course of action.

Middle ground: Your heads are toasted. Hopefully it just bent the valves and didn't shatter any of them. If it did then your motor is probably going to need to be overhauled.

Worse case: The motor and your heads are toast.

If it were me, and you want to keep the car, pull the motor and take the heads off. You can inspect the pistons, heads and block to see if anything is damaged and if anything needs replacing. If you have the space to do this it may just cost you the price of a new head gasket set and timing belt.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.