Rough idle after spark plug change...

This is a discussion on Rough idle after spark plug change... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i went to change my spark plugs the other day and after everything was installed back together i had ...

Rough idle after spark plug change...

So i went to change my spark plugs the other day and after everything was installed back together i had a rough idle?? So i took the new plugs out to make sure it wasn't those and re-installed the original plugs, still rough idle. I'm POSITIVE everything is installed correctly and all plugs/coil packs are on tight. I've heard some people say this could be a vacuum leak?

I mostly feel the idle down in the pedals. but i can also hear it slightly. anybody have any ideas on what this could be?

Another note. the idle gets worse when i use my power windows. as if the extra strain on the alternator is bringing it down, however it's much worse than it ever used to be.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How are you positive everything is installed correctly.

What did you remove / reinstall other than the plugs, the coil packs, and wiring?

Year/model/mileage/maint history?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you use dielectric grease?

Did you make sure that the battery leads are connected tightly/securely?

Have you checked that you plugged your MAF back in?

Did you make sure to put that grounding plate back on cylinder 4?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

sorry i guess i didn't provide much info,

2004 wrx, 97,000 miles on it. Maintenance is all up to date and done on time if not a bit early for safety.

Back to the issue. I did plug my MAF back in, i even cleaned it with MAF cleaner. All battery leads are secured tightly. I didn't use Di-electric grease, and i don't know what your talking about with the grounding plate on cylinder 4? i didn't see anything come off with my coil pack?

I Support ClubWRX
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...-question.html

Obviously you did something to cause a change. Go back and check over everything you removed and around it. No CEL?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    absolutely need to use dielectric grease. That can cause not enough electricity to pass through the coil into the plug, and possibly cause hesitation. There is a plate that comes off of the 02 sensor on my car that grounds into the number 4 plug. Don't know if this is only on the 06+ or not.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Sinister, dielectric grease is non-conductive. It will NOT pass electricity from coil to spark plug. It will keep oxidation from happeneing and moisture from interfereing between connections and I used it on my plug connections for this reason.

FMS

Did you check the spark plug gaps sir? even though the gap is usually correct from the manufacturer, its always good to check.
    OPEN 7 Days a week|We match and beat advertised prices and sales|855.447.8288

AOL Instant Messenger: FlatlineMotorsports.mason@gmail.com

Link: Flatline Motorsports Online Store
    Link: Flatline Motorsports Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by FMS View Post
    Did you check the spark plug gaps sir? even though the gap is usually correct from the manufacturer, its always good to check.
    ^ What he said. I bought some NGK GP Platinum plugs at autozone and were .044 in the box... Glad I checked and corrected them down to .031

I would check your spark plug happing aswell as the vacuum lines goinh to the pcv. They co.e loose sometimes