7538 Mile UOA 2011 WRX

This is a discussion on 7538 Mile UOA 2011 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; As promised that I'd share my UOA result. This oil lasted from way back last August (2011) to February (2012) ...

KHP

7538 Mile UOA 2011 WRX

As promised that I'd share my UOA result. This oil lasted from way back last August (2011) to February (2012) so this has seen quite severe operation +110F desert temps to below 20F temps of winter. It has seen a good share of mountain driving time. I'd blame the oil consumption on mountain engine braking. 7500 mile OCI seems like it's easily attainable. You guys can see a good trend since I sampled midway through the OCI.

I used the OEM blue Subaru oil filter during this OCI.

Attachment 102940
    Last edited by KHP; 03-05-2012 at 02:31 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The oil is doing great despite apparently being the oh-so-dreaded, oh-it-will-blow-your-motor-up-because-I-read-so M1 5W-30. The filter is also very good, look at the low insolubles after a full 7,500 miles. The comment about wear rates receding during the second half of the interval is very interesting.

Granted, viscosity at operating temp is lower than spec at this point, but then again that's the point, it's the end of the UOA so one changes the oil. Plus, it's not all that off. Nice UOA.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

KHP
    Quite a bit of people think that it's taboo to extend their oil changes from 3750 miles to 7500 miles for 2011+ WRX's and somehow M1 has a bad reputation of blowing up these engines . Keep in mind that the car wasn't babied through this cycle. The car has done some pretty hefty sprints to red line. 50/50 Hwy and City mileage. There are also several times where the engine temperature never reached operating temp due to engine braking from the ski resort down to the valley.

The oil did shear quite a bit, but it does not worry me one bit seeing the results.

My conclusion is that 7500 miles is should be attainable using quality synthetic oil in a stock WRX.
    Last edited by KHP; 03-05-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Your results are great, however specific to your car (not just year). I think most cars could, but I wouldn't just do it without some data like you have.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Your results are great, however specific to your car (not just year). I think most cars could, but I wouldn't just do it without some data like you have.
    True... maybe I did conclude too early. I would hope everyone's car would produce similar or better results.

I Support ClubWRX
    Granted the oil did shear a bit. It did not cause you detectable wear issues though and TBN is nice still. If your habits stay consistent I'd say your oil choice is just fine, skeptics aside.

That's not to say its the absolute best for your application; I don't know of course. However you can't try them all and neither I, nor more importantly Blackstone, seem to see a reason to experiment.

Data make the forum richer and more meaningful. This is a valuable contribution. Thank you.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.