Engine wiring help needed

This is a discussion on Engine wiring help needed within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought an 02 wrx over the weekend, and some of the power distribution wiring in the engine bay was ...

Engine wiring help needed

I bought an 02 wrx over the weekend, and some of the power distribution wiring in the engine bay was taken apart when they removed the engine and I need to figure out what goes where to get power to everything again. I found a website that has the factory manuals for everything on these cars, but also would be nice if someone could take a couple pics around where the battery sits so I can get a better idea. Heres a couple pics with circles around what id like to know. The wire in the last pic goes into the fuse box. We tried sticking a jumper cable to that wire that goes into the fuse box (I know it comes off the battery somehow), and the neg cable to the body, but wasn't able to roll the drivers window up so we had to cover it with plastic to tow it home.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload.1.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	102928
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload (1).1.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	102929

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well I got a battery and hooked those wires up and the only stuff that works is what doesn't need the key in it to work. Hazards, odometer reading, etc. Im not sure what is keeping all the switched stuff from working. It doesnt have an engine, but I'd think it should still work.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That bottom picture looks like the ground that goes to the intake manifold, missing the eye that is.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 02scoobywrx View Post
    Well I got a battery and hooked those wires up and the only stuff that works is what doesn't need the key in it to work. Hazards, odometer reading, etc. Im not sure what is keeping all the switched stuff from working. It doesnt have an engine, but I'd think it should still work.
    The electrical system uses the engine as a ground conductor. Every wonder why there are so many grounds? You don't have 100% continuity throught out the whole car. The main battery ground goes to the engine block. I wouldn't be trying to energize the car without having the motor in with all electrical conections hooked up. You are just asking to fry something,especially the ECU.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    The electrical system uses the engine as a ground conductor. Every wonder why there are so many grounds? You don't have 100% continuity throught out the whole car. The main battery ground goes to the engine block. I wouldn't be trying to energize the car without having the motor in with all electrical conections hooked up. You are just asking to fry something,especially the ECU.
    I didn't think about that. I guess I'll just wait till I get the engine in. It would be nice to roll the drivers window up though.