Turbo smoke and power/boost issue. Help needed! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Turbo smoke and power/boost issue. Help needed! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This happened yesterday btw. I also drove the scooby from Phoenix AZ to my new home in Northern CA near ...

This happened yesterday btw. I also drove the scooby from Phoenix AZ to my new home in Northern CA near sacramento.
    I have to fix ASAP cause I need to drive back to AZ on Saturday...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did the smoke have any kind of a sweet smell to it? That would mean coolant. Oil feed lines are more likely to go in the WRX turbos, but coolant lines can to. Replace the line and see if that corrects it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    There are coolant lines running to the turbo and the upper reservoir. Replace the one that is leaking or make sure they are clamped on properly.

Are you still making low boost too?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

SO, Ive replaced the leaking lines, and topped off the lost fluids. Is there a special burping process that I must follow when filling the coolant? Its at the top and stays there.. I let the car warm up, cool down, then top off again, then warm up , cool off, Top.... etc. I just drove from Nor cal All the way to Phx AZ yesterday and she drove like a champ. Boosted fine i guess. It just seems, I dont know, not as strong as it used to... but it still boosts.
    Ps: Also just installed;
    -Tic Diff Lockdown Race kit,
    -Group n 5MT mount
    -5mt X-member Bushings
    -Energy Suspension MASTER hyperflex kits, (Cherry Blossom RED)
    Takes turns twice as well as before, and no more loose rattling control arms.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus_Magnet View Post
    SO, Ive replaced the leaking lines, and topped off the lost fluids. Is there a special burping process that I must follow when filling the coolant? Its at the top and stays there.. I let the car warm up, cool down, then top off again, then warm up , cool off, Top.... etc. I just drove from Nor cal All the way to Phx AZ yesterday and she drove like a champ. Boosted fine i guess. It just seems, I dont know, not as strong as it used to... but it still boosts.
    Ps: Also just installed;
    -Tic Diff Lockdown Race kit,
    -Group n 5MT mount
    -5mt X-member Bushings
    -Energy Suspension MASTER hyperflex kits, (Cherry Blossom RED)
    Takes turns twice as well as before, and no more loose rattling control arms.

Good deal. To burp it you just top off the upper reservoir like you did but you should run the heater on high. If it didn't overheat in AZ then job done IMO.

The bushings etc. do make a nice improvement in the driveline (less clunking, maybe more power down) and to some degree on handling (much more stable and planted feeling, less "chasing the wheel"). I'm not sure if you've done sway bars but they of course make a bigger difference in actual handling (unless as it sounds your control arm bushings were actually shot). The steering rack bushings are nice too.

Did you get the rear control arm ones pressed in? There is a guy here who sometimes loans out a really cool tool to do the on-board ones. I did the ALK on the front arms but haven't done the front bushing.
    Last edited by mycologist; 07-17-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Funny you ask about the rears... I did the bigger forward/front bushing, but didnt have the time to do the one at the rear on the Knuckle. It looked like a B*tch.
    Yes, My control arms were SHOT! The car was rattling. Not good. I never should have let it get that bad. And the sway bars were also done. That is one thing that I could DEFINITELY tell the difference. Put it this way, Black burnt marshmallow, to Crisp Hardy cherry!
    Didnt do the Steering rack bushings though. Do they help alot?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus_Magnet View Post
    Funny you ask about the rears... I did the bigger forward/front bushing, but didnt have the time to do the one at the rear on the Knuckle. It looked like a B*tch.
    Yes, My control arms were SHOT! The car was rattling. Not good. I never should have let it get that bad. And the sway bars were also done. That is one thing that I could DEFINITELY tell the difference. Put it this way, Black burnt marshmallow, to Crisp Hardy cherry!
    Didnt do the Steering rack bushings though. Do they help alot?
    The rack bushings improve feel but not performance. Less fussing with the wheel, no "memory steer" and more stable trajectory - I think it reduces fatigue on the highway and is noticeable on turn in precision and not having to micro-adjust all the time on long corners.

It takes a bit of prying to get the rear one on the control arm. If you don't want to autocross the ALK is the best. Otherwise get the offset bushings from TIC (whiteline).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.