dont know who to trust
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on dont know who to trust within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i went to a shop called subbie shop and automotive repair, they work with crawford they did a leakdown and ...

dont know who to trust

i went to a shop called subbie shop and automotive repair, they work with crawford they did a leakdown and compression test. They said that cylinders 1 and 2 are good cylinder 1 is 145 psi 13% leakdown cylinder 2 is 145 psi 3% leakdown cylinder 3 is 135 psi with 31% leakdown and cylinder 4 is 130 psi 30% leakdown and my turbo is bad (free play) thus causing blue smoke.

Now i went and got another quote from my dealership some ****ty dealership from oceanside ca and they took it to there mechancis shop and did a dry and wet compression test. They told me that across my cylinders is 130 psi and 135 psi and my turbo seals are blown thus causing the blue smoke.

subbie shop says that to be on the safe side i should get a new block and pistions and new turbo which is a ton of freaking money

dealership says i just need to replace my turbo and clean my intercooler.

what do you guys think i already ordered blouch 18g xt turbo and a intercooler plus 750cc injectors and walbro 255 lph pump for more proformance but what do you guys think one shop suggest replacing the short block and turbo another says turbo

dont know who to trust

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    You're having engine issues so you ordered a larger turbo? That seems very counterintuitive.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

i was going to buy it anyways bc i want 350whp but im only tuning it to 300hp so its not like im going to tune my car to its full potential im going to wait till i get crawford 2.5l s2 short block with forged pistons and rods and stronger gears

See if there's shaft play in the turbo and you'll know who's right. Always ask to take a look at the car when a shop has it apart so they can show you the "problems" they've found.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

thats what subbie shop did and thats what they found

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kevo0311 View Post
    dont know who to trust
    Trust No One.

Both places are absolutely correct!

If the dealer told you the motor's compression checks out OK and that you only have to replace a turbo that has shaft play, they are absolutely correct.

If the independent Subbie shop told you that the motor's compression checks out OK, that you have to replace the turbo that has shaft play, and that it would be wise to rework the entire motor before you install a much larger turbo, they are also correct.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

but im getting two different answers with the compression test and thats a red flag

I Support ClubWRX
    but im getting two different answers with the compression test and thats a red flag
    I don't see how the answers you got are mutually incompatible.

The real red flag as far as the motor's likely longevity is installing a much larger turbo and asking the motor to generate up to 50% more power than it is currently generating.

Both shops are correct; both shops told you to replace your turbo. They agree on that. The first shop sells and installs unauthorized parts, and told you to rework the motor in light of your choice to install a much larger turbo. They are likely correct. The second shop does not (or at least certainly should not) sell or install unauthorized parts, and told you to replace the turbo since it is failing. They are also likely correct.

If you are concerned, get a third opinion after all. Then, if you are unsure what to do, find a used stock turbo and have that installed, and leave the car alone. Do not modify further.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

im only tuning my car to 300 hp what it has now

Two have an argument, three hold an election!

I Support ClubWRX
    From the mods you have listed in your profile, you do not currently have 300hp.....definitely not at the wheels, and likely not at the crank.....not with stage2 and 14.88lbs of boost on the stock snail.

Here is the way it breaks down.....

The dealer says all you need is a new turbo.....they automatically assume you will go with a replacement Subaru part for your MY. This is all that is needed to get you back on the road with no smoking, and should be fine reliability wise.

The Subbie Shop sees that you already have some mods, and likely want more. If you mentioned the 18G turbo, they know for sure you want more. If you replace the stock turbo with an 18G, and leave all other components the way they currently are (or add the larger injectors and fuel pump), you will likely blow your current engine real soon as it can't take the added stress that the 18G will add in the current condition it is in.....so they advised you to rework/replace the short block.

As others have said, both shops are correct. If you went with a stock turbo replacement, no other work is 'required', though this would not hurt. If you go with a bigger turbo, you will need to replace the block/internals real soon when the 18G blows it all up, so might as well do it all at once.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    im only tuning my car to 300 hp what it has now
    Whats your point? the dealership did not do a leak down test, they did a compression test and your motor would be FINE with in there opinion a STOCK TD04. You had a compression test and leak down test done at a tuning shop, they told you the compression is fine but the leak down test shows the motor is well used.

The tuning shop is telling you that if you put an 18G on that worn out motor it is going to explode... They are correct. They are telling you the motor is ok running in stock form with a stock turbo.

The dealership is telling you the motor is operating fine but needs a new stock turbo.

Both shops are telling you the exact same thing, your just to thick headed to listen to the advice. The tuning shop is looking at it like they do the work to install a large turbo on a potentially bad motor and the motor grenades, they told you that it wasnt a good idea. They have a leg to stand on in court when your suing them for installing to big of a turbo for your stock ****ty motor to handle "because you just want 300hp" out of a car that put 160 hp to the tires.
    Last edited by T0rque; 03-01-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    IBTL!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

my car is 302hp 262qt with 16.88 LBS 3 inch catless/intake i think i just might get it all done fix the block pistons and rods before i install everything im sick of this car stressing me out one thing after another from what im getting from is my car is about to take a dump and then i will take a turn for the worst

I Support ClubWRX
    Id like to see the dyno sheet of that.. Not trying to be rude but owning an STi with a VF43 and and all supporting mods+some for a larger turbo on a 2.5 liter with 309hp leads me to say no possible way on a stage 2 car 2.0 liter with a td04

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast