New guy needs help with codes on a possible 02 wrx buy.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New guy needs help with codes on a possible 02 wrx buy. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What's up guys this is my first post here.. I'm looking at buying my first wrx.. It's a 2002 wrx ...

New guy needs help with codes on a possible 02 wrx buy.

What's up guys this is my first post here.. I'm looking at buying my first wrx.. It's a 2002 wrx wagon. It has 103k miles. It is very very clean. Guy is asking 8500. I test drove it yesterday, he had told me that the CEL was on but he was told it was an 02 sensor. But I wanted to have the codes ran again to make sure that's all that it was.. So we went to autozone, car runs fantastic mind you. It kinda sounds like it has a slight exhaust leak but he said the Subaru dealer told him that it's just a Subaru thing.. :-/ so we get to auto zone, the guy pulls the codes and these are the codes.. P0320, p0301, p0303, p0304... Crank position sensor and misfire on 1,3 & 4.. I put a deposit down on the car because I feel as if these problems are not a big deal and I thought at first that it's possibly just the crank sensor throwing the misfire codes.. But after doing some searching, I'm finding that the misfire codes probably dont have any connection to the crank sensor.. The owner went and bought a new crank sensor and I'm gonna meet up with him today and try to get the sensors swapped out and see if that fixes it.. If the misfire codes are still present I guess ill try putting new plugs in it and swap around coil packs.. I need some opinions if I need to stay away from this can of worms or if it's nothing to really fret about.. I really like the car, it is very clean. I'll try posting a pic of it. I just don't want to buy a money pit. I've just sold 2 of those.. I don't need another. Thanks in advance fellas.
    Mobile Photobucket

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    In my state I can't register a car with codes, therefore I can't own or drive one, so I'd have walked. Your time and $ but be sure it's worth it. The price will get you a well sorted example and this one doesn't sound like that right now. Was it modified?

It's coming up for the 105K miles service, and unless you DIY that it can run over $700, incidentally. Get a full service history.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

In Missouri it won't pass emissions if there is any codes either.. I'm hoping that it's just the simple cps.. And maybe just a set of plugs. But the car is super clean inside and out. The original owner was an older gentlemen and the owner that has it now is 26yr old, he's had it since August of last year and the only reason he is getting rid of it is because he just found out 3 weeks ago that he is getting deployed in 2 months and he didn't want it sitting on base while he is gone. I'm gonna give it a shot on getting it fixed. If I can't get the codes to go away, them I'm gonna have to walk away from it.. What does the 105k service consist of? The clutch was just replaced at 98k with an OEM clutch that was installed at the Subaru dealer..

And he said that the Original owner had all the belts replaced back in August.. When I looked at it yesterday it looks like that the radiator has been out, all the hose clamps are not in the same spot on the hose.

And it is completely stock besides a cold air intake and a double din alpine head unit. Otherwise it is completely stock and that's why I'm so interested in it because all the other wrxs for sale around here are modded to the moon and the owners think they are worth $5k more than what they really are

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JTProuhet View Post
    What does the 105k service consist of? The clutch was just replaced at 98k with an OEM clutch that was installed at the Subaru dealer..
    Timing belt minimally. Realistically, timing belt, water pump, thermostat, all rollers, tensioner, coolant. The radiator does not prove the timing belt was done, since it tends to fail on its own and by that age my car was on its third radiator, so my hose clamps were not in the original positions either. A service history proves things; talk doesn't. If you don't know the previous owner there is no history from what you've said.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Im on my way to replace the cps. If that fixes the code but not the misfire codes, I'm gonna do a compression test and change the plugs, if the codes still come back I'm gonna pass on the car.. If that fixes the codes I'll buy it and do the rest of the maintenance on my own, timing belt included

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.