Cruise Control doesn't set anymore

This is a discussion on Cruise Control doesn't set anymore within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My cruise control in my 2004 suddenly stopped working the other day. The cruise light comes on still, but when ...

Cruise Control doesn't set anymore

My cruise control in my 2004 suddenly stopped working the other day. The cruise light comes on still, but when I click to set it, it doesn't work. I've tried pulling the brake pedal out in case it stuck, but it still doesn't work. My question is, is this something I could fix or how much do you think a dealer or shop would charge to get it fixed? Any info would be helpful really.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There is a switch that is activated by the clutch pedal, you should see it about 2/3 of the way up the pedal. There will be a hole that is supposed to have a rubber bumper in it, if you see just an empty hole about 3/8" of an inch, that means the bumper fell out and the switch will not close. This makes the cruise control system think that the clutch pedal is engaged (Pressed in) and will not activate cruise control. What I did was get a screw with a very flat head that was the diameter of the hole, and put a nut on the back to hold it in place.

I Support ClubWRX
    Same here; I used a plastic grommet from a home supply store. No problems since.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hmm, thanks for the info. I'll check it out tomorrow.

So I checked the rubber bumper out, it's still in place where it's supposed to be. Perhaps the problem is more internal?

I Support ClubWRX
    If you do not see a white piece of plastic on the pedal but do see a hole, that's the problem.

If you have a CEL, that's the problem.

Otherwise it gets complicated. Either of those two going on?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Everything on or around the pedal is where it's supposed to be. There's no hole anywhere. I have a CEL on, but the code says small leak/loose gas cap, unless more codes have been added by now. I wouldn't think the cruise control would set off a code, but maybe I'm wrong?

When the CEL is turned on the cruise control will not work. Buy a new gas cap, clear the code, and see if that fixes it.

The cruise control has always worked when the CEL is on. It was on for a year before the car became mine, and it's been on and off for a while now.

It's defiantly possible you have another CEL code. Have the codes read again and post them here. We'll try to help you fix the problem.

Fuel filer caps are known to fail from time to time, if that's one of the problems, at least that's an easy fix ($6 on Amazon)

So I read the codes again, this time it was a camshaft sensor code. I'll be replacing the sensor soon. Would that affect the cruise control?