Just need a lil help on my engine oil suggestion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just need a lil help on my engine oil suggestion within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys so I'm still a lil new to subies but still doing A LOT of research on them and ...

Just need a lil help on my engine oil suggestion

Hey guys so I'm still a lil new to subies but still doing A LOT of research on them and so now what I'm worry about my oil level on my dip stick, I just recently did an oil change like 600-700 miles ago and I guess when I changed the filter and the old seal was stuck on the filter ring and had a gap and was leaking for a day but I fixed that and topped it off again with the full mark on the stick but now I just recently checked my oil again just incase and there is no oil on the stick, I just drove it around and let it cooled down for 10 mins or more and checked it again and nothing now, I'm worry about if the motor is burning all the oil or whatever cuz the car is still all stock and it's an 04 and the oil I used was 5w-30 Mobile 1 high mileage and the motor has about 115K miles too and my best bet is just doing another oil change and thinking about going with royal purple this time but any help would be great if you know whats wrong.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The immediate problem is a lack of punctuation. It's very difficult to follow what you're trying to say.

Brand is of less concern to you than volume. If your motor has a gross leak, fix it. If you are confident you have fixed the leak or no other leak ever existed, save for the double gapped oil filter, check the oil level with the motor stone cold. If it's low top it up. Check again the next day with the motor in the same state. Go from there.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yeah I know my grammar sucks right now, I'm in garage freezing and fixing my front end links right now...lol but yeah just trying to say that there is no oil on the dip stick when I check it and just did an oil change about 600 miles ago on the motor but I will check it tomorrow stone freezing cold again to see

I Support ClubWRX
    It can take more than 10 minutes to drain back down to the oil pan. I thought the same as you when I first changed the oil (couldn't see any oil on the dip stick, but the next time I changed it, 4.5 quarts drained, so virtually no oil loss.

Try waiting overnight and checking in the morning. I know this won't technically give you an accurate reading, but if you don't see ANYTHING on the dipstick, then you have a problem.

I wouldn't waste your money on Royal Purple. If you have an oil leak, putting more expensive oil is literally flushing time and money down the drain. Personally, I use whatever quality synthetic I can find on sale locally. This usually happens to be Valvoline Full Synthetic or Mobil 1.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by LazieD View Post
    yeah I know my grammar sucks right now, I'm in garage freezing and fixing my front end links right now...lol
    Understandable then.

but yeah just trying to say that there is no oil on the dip stick when I check it and just did an oil change about 600 miles ago on the motor but I will check it tomorrow stone freezing cold again to see
    I check stone cold because after all that's how the motor is whenever I change the oil (I don't care about draining the last bit so I don't warm the motor, because, well, then I'd have to work on a warm motor and I prefer cold). My guess is you have more oil than you think. Even if you don't, if you can't find juice, top it up and keep an eye on it. Nothing more to do at this point.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

so I check it this afternoon stone cold and nothing on the stick so I just went and bought some oil and gonna top it off when it's cold again and just keep on checking it until my next change and thanks for the help guys

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Is there oil under the car anywhere? You need to do a thorough check for leaks, even a high mileage boxer motor shouldn't burn nearly that much oil. After you fix the leak, run far away from mobil 1 and get some better oil. There are hundreds of threads on this so I won't get into details on which oils but for reference my bugeye has 2k more miles than your car and I don't burn a drop of German Castrol 0W-30 in 3k miles
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

yeah, i checked to see if it's leaking and non at all and I've already looked through the oil form and maybe going for red line and I don't think i'll be using mobile 1 again on my subie

There has to be a leak somewhere
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I'll double check it again to see after i finish with my front end links and maybe drain it to see how many quarts I got in my pan too

check around the turbo, oil pan, drain plug, block etc etc. Anywhere there is oil, look for leaks
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

checked everywhere and nothing

Do an oil change and monitor it extremely closely. The oil has to be going somewhere
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

yeah, that's what my next big step is

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Castrol 0W-30 in 3k miles
    0 weight, huh? I guess Colorado would be a much colder climate than Oregon, but that isn't what Subaru recommends. I use 5W-30. My wife's Insight uses 0W-20 though. Supposedly, it's kind of expensive, but I haven't checked yet.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast