HELP! Crank shaft pulley issue

This is a discussion on HELP! Crank shaft pulley issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I finally got my engine out. now the issue I'm facing is removing the bolt from the crank shaft pulley. ...

HELP! Crank shaft pulley issue

I finally got my engine out. now the issue I'm facing is removing the bolt from the crank shaft pulley. I started with my breaker bar but I was having a hard timing keeping the fly wheel from turning. when I finally figured a way to lock the fly wheel I still couldn't manage to break the bolt loose. I even tried using a a pipe over my breaker bar to give me more leverage. I tried using an impact wrench but still no luck.

Any ideas on what my next move should be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That's generally something that's done inside the car, unfortunately, since you can just jam it in gear and have a friend stand on the brakes and use all the torque you can muster to get it to turn.

Outside of the car, I'd recommend a tool like this: GrimmSpeed Crank Pulley Removal Tool It allows you to use a 1/2" ratchet to hold the pulley in place while wrenching on the bolt holding the pulley on.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Thank you! I just got done spraying a crap load of pb blaster. I'm going to give the impact wrench one last try and if it doesn't break loose I'll order the grimspeed tool.

Would it make a difference if the impact wrench is electric? Should I try an air one instead?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Depends on the torque output and impacts it does in any given amount of time. If you have easy access to an air driven one, crank that puppy up and see if you can get it off. I was lucky when I took mine off a couple of weeks ago, 103k miles and only had to use my 18" breaker bar.

If you're extremely handy you might be able to make one of those tools, but for $40 on Amazon, I'd rather just pay and have someone else make it for me.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Like Anubus said, it all depends on the torque rating. I remember having to use one rated for 800ft/lbs to get the crank pulley off my wife's civic.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Ok I'm going to try to get a stronger impact gun. The one i was using is only rated at 300ft lbs. thanks for the suggestions.

I Support ClubWRX
    Also try heating the bolt with a torch first.
    Last edited by Donkey; 02-22-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Donkey, if you lived close by I would buy you a drink. I just torched the crap out of the bolt and it popped out with my breaker bar. Thank you sir for that helpful tip!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It's honestly much easier to break the bolt free when the engine is in the car (use the transmission to your advantage). It took me a breaker bar with a 3 foot extension and a lot of huffing and puffing to break free the bolt on my crank pulley.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Yea next time I'll keep that in mind. I didn't realize it was going to be this much of a headache with the engine out of the car.