Noob need help please! Parts recommendations-
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Noob need help please! Parts recommendations- within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 02 bugeye, completely stock with high mileage. I would like a general consensus on what brand and ...

Noob need help please! Parts recommendations-

I have an 02 bugeye, completely stock with high mileage. I would like a general consensus on what brand and type are favored from you guys for these different applications... i am a new Scooby owner, but can manage my Mechanical work. ENTIRE life of car was cared for at dealership. Any fluids would have been from them and their standard.
    So,
    1. Transmission (5spd manual) I would like to flush and refill. I have notice a heavy winding sound on decel.. shifts just fine except for 1st.
    2. Front control arm bushings (The S shaped ones on the lower rear portion of the CA) these are worn and leaking oil.
    3. Transmission mounts*
    4. Differential mounts*
    5. Motor mounts*

*these are due to severe backlash in my drivetrain.. If there is another mount or part that would pertain to this please feel free to list.

I would also consider a Full Kit to refresh the front suspension.

Thanks Ahead fellas!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Buy an authentic Subaru crush washer for the gearbox, and use regular Valvoline 75W-90.

Contact RCE for all suspension stuff I'd say. Search Group N (why doesn't anyone use the GrN abbreviation any more?!) mounts for the gearbox and the motor. There is a lock kit for the rear diff (if it were less expensive it would be called a "bolt").
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If the struts haven't been replaced in the last 60,000 miles I would replace them too, along with the top hats.

Turn in Concepts makes a complete suspension bushing refresh kit if you're interested. I just installed it on my car and it made a considerable difference.. feels like a new car. Old Bush New Bush Refresh

Struts are good. My main concern is the backlash...

Group N mounts for the engine and transmission should help that. If they aren't enough you can get the rear diff lock down kit. I've got the Perrin one on my car, it comes with bushings and bolts to take some of the slack out of the drivetrain. After that there are one piece drive shafts you can get that also help reduce slack even further..

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Buy an authentic Subaru crush washer for the gearbox, and use regular Valvoline 75W-90.

Contact RCE for all suspension stuff I'd say. Search Group N (why doesn't anyone use the GrN abbreviation any more?!) mounts for the gearbox and the motor. There is a lock kit for the rear diff (if it were less expensive it would be called a "bolt").

Couldnt find anything on google with Group N

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Group N mounts for the engine and transmission should help that. If they aren't enough you can get the rear diff lock down kit. I've got the Perrin one on my car, it comes with bushings and bolts to take some of the slack out of the drivetrain. After that there are one piece drive shafts you can get that also help reduce slack even further..
    Was thinkin of getting that lockdown kit..

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Start here:

Unabomber&#39s Sexy Rearend

Then group N stuff here (trans. and motor mounts). You need the trans bushings too.

Mount Upgrades - Turn in Concepts
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

OK, I need a quick answer... The Bushing that is is BAD on my car is the one that is on the control arm that has an S-shaped housing. This is called the Front Control Arm Bushing Rear / or FCABR? Am I right?
    This was another problem along with the driveline bushings and just wanted to get everything at once from TiC. Thanks ahead

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus_Magnet View Post
    OK, I need a quick answer... The Bushing that is is BAD on my car is the one that is on the control arm that has an S-shaped housing. This is called the Front Control Arm Bushing Rear / or FCABR? Am I right?
    This was another problem along with the driveline bushings and just wanted to get everything at once from TiC. Thanks ahead
    That is the one at the rear of the front control arm - it is an S shaped housing. I run the whiteline anti-lift kit which replaces that with a new eccentric bushing in a housing (you don't have to press it). It is not conducive if you want to autocross in a reasonable class, and requires spacing the subrame down with the included parts, but it does really nice things to your suspension geometry.

Ok Fellas, its been a while but i just installed;
    -Tic Diff Lockdown Race kit,
    -Group n 5MT mount
    -5mt X-member Bushings (Cherry Blossom RED)
    -Energy Suspension MASTER hyperflex kits, (Cherry Blossom RED)
    Takes turns twice as well as before, and no more loose rattling control arms.
    HOWEVER, there is still Slack or Backlash in the car! WTH!!! I thought the Poly kit would tighten all of the loose points... So bummed... I know of a few points that werent included in my poly kit, but didnt think that they would do anything to help the back lash... One that was up the list was Motor mounts.. could those cause a ton of lash>?

There is slop in the driveshaft at the u joints.. since the factory driveshaft is in two pieces, often replacing it with an aftermarket unit that is one solid piece will help reduce slop in the driveline. I'm not sure, but this may be what you're feeling.

I've got a lead on a cheap barely used DSS aluminum driveshaft I could send your way if you want. I was going to purchase it, but I'm going to have to upgrade to the six speed before long anyways, which uses a different driveshaft. Plus I'm going to go ahead and spring for the CF driveshaft rather than aluminum when I do get there.

So, The Driveshaft could be the culprit? What about the gearbox? Could my gears just be getting worn down? Does that even happen?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus_Magnet View Post
    So, The Driveshaft could be the culprit? What about the gearbox? Could my gears just be getting worn down? Does that even happen?
    It isn't your gears.

Mine still does it a little but did you do the actual differential mount bushings? Those make a big difference and are needed. Engine mounts not so much if you did the trans. mount that end should be secure.

I agree it probably is the actual carrier bearing or the U joints in between the two pieces of the drive shaft (it is on mine). However, when I read up on it the replacement aftermarket drive shafts require significantly modifying the floor pan with a BFH. The carbon fiber one supposedly is a nice improvement performance wise as well however.
    Last edited by mycologist; 07-17-2012 at 03:25 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't find a link to that TIC kit (differential lock down) - what was included.

Also - don't forget you need an alignment now ASAP or your tires will likely be toast. The factory specs suck - here is what you want. Click the blue arrow in the quote to go to the sticky and read more.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    For a good "street" setup, camber in the front from -1.0 - -1.5 (achieved w/ the oem bolts) and camber in the rear from-1.0 (must have camber bolts/plates to achieve this) to oem -1.3, w/ 0 toe is a very good all-around setup.

If autox/track days start entering the mix then increasing front camber via plates should be considered, as increasing caster.

Toe I would only change if you know exactly what you want and only after trying 0 first,

Big Sky

Thanks, Im already on the alignment. Thats in the works for tomorrow. heres the link to the TiC bushings
    TiC Klunk Killer - RACE
    It did make a difference, but not huge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.