Bad Alternator?

This is a discussion on Bad Alternator? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone. I have a JDM 1995 Impreza STI (95,000 km on the engine), and I have been experiencing a ...

Bad Alternator?

Hello everyone. I have a JDM 1995 Impreza STI (95,000 km on the engine), and I have been experiencing a little trouble with it lately. The voltage meter next to my boost gauge fluctuates occasionally, causing my headlights to brighten and dim while I am driving, but it doesn't happen all the time. Also there is occasionally a squealing sound when I first start my car, and will occur when I am idling the engine at a stoplight, or driving in the lower RPMs, but will go away at higher RPMs. Would this indicate a bad alternator, or something else? Can an alternator alone cause this squealing? Would the belt cause the voltage fluctuations? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The belt being loose will cause the squeeling and if it is slipping will cause a drop in alternator output, yes. I'd recommend replacing your drive belts.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Also make sure that your battery terminals are clean.