Turbo help

This is a discussion on Turbo help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ive recently fitted a larger tmic on my 2007 wrx , after smelling oil burning the other day I had ...

Turbo help

Ive recently fitted a larger tmic on my 2007 wrx , after smelling oil burning the other day I had a look under the bonnet and there is oil all over the y pipe and back of engine, the garage say this is due to crap pipes and that the car normally burns this oil, is this correct? I didn't think the turbo was meant to spit oil into the intercooler.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The turbo will normally blow some oil but that seems excessive. I don't see anything about the pipes there that would prevent the car from ingesting it either?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

They said the pipes where a bad fit hence the oil blowing out , the car is still under warranty so I will get the turbo replaced if its knackered.

I Support ClubWRX
    Normally it's not the turbo so much that is producing the oil,it just gets pushed through it. It normally comes from the PCV valve gases. Hence why so many people run either a catch can or air/oil separator. Looks like you silicone couplers for the TMIC piping are having trouble sealing. A boost leak test would show this. I do agree with mycologist in the fact that this does look excessive. Could very well be a blown turbo seal or the PCV valve is sticking.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

So would you say the oil is not excessive if it's just the pipes sealing incorrectly?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Normally it's not the turbo so much that is producing the oil,it just gets pushed through it. It normally comes from the PCV valve gases. Hence why so many people run either a catch can or air/oil separator. Looks like you silicone couplers for the TMIC piping are having trouble sealing. A boost leak test would show this. I do agree with mycologist in the fact that this does look excessive. Could very well be a blown turbo seal or the PCV valve is sticking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikao View Post
    So would you say the oil is not excessive if it's just the pipes sealing incorrectly?

The pipes not sealing correctly are messing with your A/F and boost. They are letting the oil weep out so you can see it better is all.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Ah great thx , misread your first post