Questions about running rich
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Questions about running rich within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, so i put my cold air intake on last week and now the car is def. running rich. ...

Questions about running rich

Hey guys, so i put my cold air intake on last week and now the car is def. running rich. I can smell it sometimes but my main point of concern is the check engine light that came on yesterday. Some guy at jiffy lube checked the code n said that cleaning the injectors might fix it but i know its bc of the intake. Im wondering how safe it is to run the car like this. I have 90k miles and a 2.5 in catback with no supporting tune. I havent gone into boost at all really since the the comp threw up the code. Can i get a supporting tune w/o the cobb access port? Will running rich harm the motor? Should i remove the intake or do i have at least a month to get a tune? Any info will be a great help! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Post the code.

If you have a choice, remove the intake.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    By the way, is it the same intake you discussed in this thread?
    Engine wont start after cai install HELP

If so if it were me, I'd never want to see the intake again in my life. Either throw it away or since it's two pieces see if you can use either piece as a flower pot and throw away the other piece etc.

Use the correct Subaru intake.

If/when your friend gives you the new turbo and other parts you are talking about in the other thread, do not use the Injen intake. Sell it or something, store it, whatever.

When you buy the AP look at the map notes for parts that are supported. Do not deviate from those notes. Your Subaru intake is great for your needs. Everything else has simply generated problems.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    By the way, is it the same intake you discussed in this thread?
    Engine wont start after cai install HELP

If so if it were me, I'd never want to see the intake again in my life. Either throw it away or since it's two pieces see if you can use either piece as a flower pot and throw away the other piece etc.

Use the correct Subaru intake.

If/when your friend gives you the new turbo and other parts you are talking about in the other thread, do not use the Injen intake. Sell it or something, store it, whatever.

When you buy the AP look at the map notes for parts that are supported. Do not deviate from those notes. Your Subaru intake is great for your needs. Everything else has simply generated problems.
    Yeah its the same one. Im taking it off tomorrow, Ive been reading further in the threads and have only become more worried. I think the company i got it from is going to be refunding me so thats good. I read somewhere on here that buying a ebay tbe would be no dif than a name brand one so i figured same concept could be applied to the intake. Noob moment. Also i bought this car at 83k and after becoming more familiar with it im almost certain that it was modded previously and not restored to the factory tune after the parts were removed, any way i could tell for sure, and if so how would i go about getting the factory tune?

Post the code.

If you have a choice, remove the intake.
    I forgot the code number but im just gonna take it off. Last thing i need is a misfire.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by k20zak View Post
    Yeah its the same one. Im taking it off tomorrow, Ive been reading further in the threads and have only become more worried. I think the company i got it from is going to be refunding me so thats good. I read somewhere on here that buying a ebay tbe would be no dif than a name brand one so i figured same concept could be applied to the intake. Noob moment. Also i bought this car at 83k and after becoming more familiar with it im almost certain that it was modded previously and not restored to the factory tune after the parts were removed, any way i could tell for sure, and if so how would i go about getting the factory tune?
    Check all major components for wrench marks. Have someone with a cable have a look at your ECU perhaps.

Check all major components for wrench marks. Have someone with a cable have a look at your ECU perhaps.
    I mean pretty much every removable bolt on has marks. turbo included. The dealership i bought it from is also a shop. They sell nothing but tuner cars and i know they messed with this one. The "magnaflow cat-back" is entirely welded together up to the down pipe. Its like they welded a magnaflow axel-back to a test pipe and then the test pipe to the cat and then bolted all that to the down pipe. So would any shop be able to look at the ECU and tell?
    Last edited by k20zak; 02-13-2012 at 07:28 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    No. Just ones that use Opensource software. Maybe post in the regional forums and see if someone with a Tactrix cable would be willing to pull your ROM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    No. Just ones that use Opensource software. Maybe post in the regional forums and see if someone with a Tactrix cable would be willing to pull your ROM.
    Thanks, will do.

Just finished putting the stock box back on and am pleased to report that the CEL has disappeared. So even if i were to install a Cobb or SPT intake would i receive the same issue without a supporting tune?

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Why do you want an intake so bad?
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You need to tune for an intake..

If you're ever in the DFW area I would gladly pull your ROM and take a look at it. At the very least it would be a good idea to log and see how it's running. And if you need different map flashed I could do that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Why do you want an intake so bad?
    I want full bolt-ons with the cobb AP done first. After that ill be getting my friends STI turbo w/ top mount, and it will be a little while for me to save up to get everything ready for that. So i want some kinda power before then.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    You need to tune for an intake..

If you're ever in the DFW area I would gladly pull your ROM and take a look at it. At the very least it would be a good idea to log and see how it's running. And if you need different map flashed I could do that for you.
    Definitely man, I have family in Dallas so i'm up there every 2 months or so. Thanks a lot, ill message you when i know my next trip.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Well the AP only supports two intakes, Cobb SF and AEM.. read the map notes before you just start buying parts that aren't supported.

Besides that, I don't think the intake maps make any more power than the maps designed for the stock intake. So wanting power is no reason to be spending money on an intake anyways. You should be getting a protune if you're interested in power gains.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.