Subaru WRX Forum banner

Questions about running rich

11K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Donkey 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so i put my cold air intake on last week and now the car is def. running rich. I can smell it sometimes but my main point of concern is the check engine light that came on yesterday. Some guy at jiffy lube checked the code n said that cleaning the injectors might fix it but i know its bc of the intake. Im wondering how safe it is to run the car like this. I have 90k miles and a 2.5 in catback with no supporting tune. I havent gone into boost at all really since the the comp threw up the code. Can i get a supporting tune w/o the cobb access port? Will running rich harm the motor? Should i remove the intake or do i have at least a month to get a tune? Any info will be a great help! Thanks

#3 ·
By the way, is it the same intake you discussed in this thread?
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/gener...engine-wont-start-after-cai-install-help.html

If so if it were me, I'd never want to see the intake again in my life. Either throw it away or since it's two pieces see if you can use either piece as a flower pot and throw away the other piece etc.

Use the correct Subaru intake.

If/when your friend gives you the new turbo and other parts you are talking about in the other thread, do not use the Injen intake. Sell it or something, store it, whatever.

When you buy the AP look at the map notes for parts that are supported. Do not deviate from those notes. Your Subaru intake is great for your needs. Everything else has simply generated problems.

#4 ·
Yeah its the same one. Im taking it off tomorrow, Ive been reading further in the threads and have only become more worried. I think the company i got it from is going to be refunding me so thats good. I read somewhere on here that buying a ebay tbe would be no dif than a name brand one so i figured same concept could be applied to the intake. Noob moment. Also i bought this car at 83k and after becoming more familiar with it im almost certain that it was modded previously and not restored to the factory tune after the parts were removed, any way i could tell for sure, and if so how would i go about getting the factory tune?

#15 ·
Well the AP only supports two intakes, Cobb SF and AEM.. read the map notes before you just start buying parts that aren't supported.

Besides that, I don't think the intake maps make any more power than the maps designed for the stock intake. So wanting power is no reason to be spending money on an intake anyways. You should be getting a protune if you're interested in power gains.

#16 ·
I think the real question is: What kind of intake did you have on?

...Injen...?

#17 ·
Maybe i'm missing something so forgive me but, i though intake = a lean mixture not rich. Is the ecu richening up the mixture to compensate that much to affect fuel trim by 20+%. And if i was a rich mixture i dont see how cleaning the injectors would help because dirty injectors would also cause lean mix.

Im either lost out of my mind or completely wrong lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.