Weird noise, Please help!

This is a discussion on Weird noise, Please help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was on my way back home, I decided to do a moderate pull (4k rpm) all of a sudden ...

Weird noise, Please help!

I was on my way back home, I decided to do a moderate pull (4k rpm) all of a sudden a knocking/clunking noise started. The faster I went the louder it got, first things firs,to make sure it wasn't coming from my engine I revved it a few, sounded normal, then I let the car roll down a hill in neutral w/ engine off since I figured it only makes the sound when in motion. Nonetheless, again the noise came back, the faster down the hill the louder it was. It sounds like it is coming somewhere front right side of the car. All in all, I was wondering what can be some of the causes of this?

-- Car has 150k mi. on body, and 34k mi. on the engine.
    * (I'll post a video tomorrow morning of what it sounds like inside the car )

I really need help quick to find out the issue, I'm a student and use this car to get to campus. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Since the sound increases in frequency with tire rotation, I'd say take a look at your axle(s) and brake caliper(s). Check to make sure the tire isn't hitting any plastic body panels as well.

Luckily this kind of noise is one of the easier ones to diagnose.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

What are some signs that the transmission is bad? Will a bad tranny/clutch have these symptoms? I'm just asking because I remembered I noticed a strong smell of clutch, or this just might be the fact that I was kind of feathering the clutch to try to get the car moving as slow as possible without stalling.

thanks again
    Last edited by DoloSoLow; 02-13-2012 at 08:57 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I had a very similar symptom to yours, and I found a twig wedged in the brake caliper. It sounded like a wheel fell off though. Once I pulled it out, I was good to go. As Anub1s said, check your calipers and axles.

You said you heard the sound with engine off in neutral, so I'm dubious this is is a tranny issue. Unless the transmission has a history of abuse, a 4k pull isn't a problem (I'm assuming this wasn't launched, just a pull at speed).
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I just finished recording a quick clip of what it sounds like, let me know what you think
    I know its irrelevant but, sorry about the video being sideways youtube did it.

it does the same "clunck" sound when the car is completely off and rolling down a hill in neutral. The sound is just a little less loud.

thanks again for the help.