A Saga CEL P1088, P0171, broken intake boot and exhaust leak
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on A Saga CEL P1088, P0171, broken intake boot and exhaust leak within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've had my '02 WRX about 8 years. It now has about 116K miles. When I purchased the car, it ...

A Saga CEL P1088, P0171, broken intake boot and exhaust leak

I've had my '02 WRX about 8 years. It now has about 116K miles. When I purchased the car, it had a bunch
    of after market stuff installed by the dealer. Down pipe, (I believe it's a stock turbo), Cat Back
    exhaust, BOV (which I made them change back to stock, as the PSSSSSST noise made
    me nuts), cool air intake with oiled filter, which they ran into the right fender well. I shortened
    the pipe and brought all under the hood to avoid the risk of pumping deep roadway H2O
    into the motor. I also had an exhaust leak and downstream All of this years ago. This last year, the dealer did some recall work for a fuel
    line that leak in cold weather upon start up. They had a hard time with the work, and as I recall,
    there was some issue with some part "breaking" or that they needed to replace and required
    a mechanic to come in on a Saturday.

Sometime after that, and I don't remember when (>50 yrs age issue, so no smart ass kid comment please)
    I started getting P1088 and P0171 codes together or separately. The odd thing is that one or both will CEL
    at a variable distance from home. Sometimes 10 miles from home and the next day 150 miles from home.
    The car never goes into "Limp" mode, but does sometimes feel rough and buck on acceleration. My highway mileage has decreased
    from 25 MPG to 22 highway. It may not seem like much, but I currently drive 180 miles (total) a day to and from work, so it adds up.

I maintain my own vehicles, when so synthetic oil/(high end) oil filter changes every 3000-4000 K miles. I put a new
    (Bosch) downstream O2 sensor at about 50K miles and 4 years ago. At which time there was an exhaust leak just
    before the down stream sensor, NAPA was the only place that I could find the 3 1/2- 4" (I don't remember the size) silver colored
    compression ring. I really love the (daily driver) car and I have put a lot of $ into it this year. I (personally) replaced all of the Struts,
    Front and Rear Sway bars with Eibach parts, in addition to the usual stuff (Brembo drilled and slotted rotors and brakes 3 yrs ago).

I cleaned the MAF more than once, and the CEL's returned. In the last few weeks, I replaced the MAF, upstream 02 sensor and 3 yr old fuel filter.
    The same CELs returned, so I took the 02 WRX (daily driver) to my local mechanic (Import Cars) last Wed for a Thurs appointment. They called me Fri PM
    to say that they're "working on it." Today, Sat. he called and says that the diagnosed problem is a "turbo area" exhaust leak and an "intake boot tear."
    He said that the former might have caused the latter, he's checking for part availability, but it's a PIA issue to rip it all apart. So more money$$$$$, is my read.

Can someone show me a pic of the "intake boot?" Part availability, options and anticipated reasonable costs?

Thanks ,
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    He may be talking about the inlet, which is a true scourge to replace with the manifold on the car. I can't access photos right now but the inlet is known to tear.

The PO171 may come back as long as the correct intake and filter are not used, but it'll also come up for a torn inlet so you have to fix the existing leak first and wait. I don't know about the other CEL code.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    An easy solution is an aftermarket silicone one. No more ripping and can be installed without removing the intake manifold. Stock and aftermarket side by side. PERRIN Performance — — Inlet Hose
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It is hard to imagine the dealer not seeing that when the manifold was off.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.