Power steering pump

This is a discussion on Power steering pump within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I need a little bit of help here. After doing timing belt job on my 04 wrx, ps ...

Power steering pump

Hey guys, I need a little bit of help here. After doing timing belt job on my 04 wrx, ps pump started making whining noise at cold start and underload, it was leaking already so I figure it just gave up. Replaced pump, bled the system for like 15 minutes, drove it for a few miles but it still making whining noise(not as loud though), does anyone knows if there is a special procedure for bleeding this cars or is there something else wrong like a check valve?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    To bleed, remove the cap on the reservoir and turn the wheel back and forth. When I did my timing belt I rotated the hose to the reservoir to get access, but nothing was leaking before or after. Since you replaced your pump, it's not the pump leaking if you see some juice at this point. Keep bleeding and check belt tension/condition first I'd say.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thank you SD_GR; yeah this is the only way I know too, I already did it with car up on a lift for about ten minutes, but still the same. I thought i might just need to drive car for a few miles, but thats not working either, any feedback wil be appreciated

I Support ClubWRX
    If there are no leaks and the belt is correct it should (eventually?) work.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You didn't damage a hose or anything did you? Any noticeable kinks? I just did my timing belt last weekend and noted that the power steering hose clipped to the radiator was a bit of a pain to work around when removing and installing the radiator, which is why I ask.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    That hose is definitely in the way, yes, but I don't think it's on the pressure side of the system because I was able to twist mine out of the way and the entire hose rotated while still on the fitting. Then it rotated the other way when I was done. In any case if there is no leak the sir should eventually be expelled from the system.