new purchase and new problems help'''
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on new purchase and new problems help''' within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi i recently bought a 2002 wrx wagon and i just got a cel , 2 hours after purchase with ...

new purchase and new problems help'''

hi i recently bought a 2002 wrx wagon and i just got a cel , 2 hours after purchase with no warranty , here are the codes po301,po302,po303,po304 , with are misfires all 4 cyln, and i also have a code po244 with it said wastegate sel A range performance, i only know whats on the vehicle by looks , it has a full cobb exhaust and a racing downpipe the one right off the turbo , and it has a hallman pro mbc, and a mishimoto rad. now i do get alot of rough idle but seems to clear up alittle but has soom serious falling off and sputter while boosting , i do not know where the mbc is set due to no boost gauge. what should i do first , to try to eliminate the problems , could the mbc be set to high causing all these codes or plugs ? please help, thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd get a compression test on all cylinders to make sure the block isn't effed up. Then go from there...do you know if it's tuned???
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

no idea if its tuned no paperwork on it , it seriously runs strong but kinda strange all codes at once ?? i just tried turning the the boost down on the mbc and it seemed to help , just not sure how much to turn it down no boost gauge to check it uggg, gonna change the plugs in a few mins please post any other suggestions , as for a compression test i am short on cash to do it now

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The wastegate code is for sure overboosting. You MUST remove the MBC or get a tune that utilizes it properly. Even without the MBC you have to make wure you are running a map that supports your other mods (stage II, intake must match, etc.). Most people willing to plunk down the cash for a full Cobb exhaust are running an AP, however an MBC requires a custom map not an OTS Cobb stage II map. It is a good chance that the AP was unmarried and sold, in which case you are on a stock map which not acceptable with your mods. - otherwise your ECU is locked out if you don't have the AP that was installed! This possibility, along with the fact that they dropped the V1 and nearly left me with a $600 paperweight, is why I no longer support them.

I would recommend a tactrix cable so you can see how the car is tuned, but it won't work if they locked you out and I think you have to send them your ECU to sort it.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

so what if i disconnect the mbc and us e the stock one that is still plugged in but just rerun the vac lines and try a ecu reset will that get me threw until i get duckets? and where can i find a taxtrx cable and does it come with software

I Support ClubWRX
    The software is free - opensource.

Actually they have a new ultra cheap version of the cable out that is advertised to work on the old models (like ours). I would search for some reviews, and if it isn't clearly going to work then get the real tactrix cable. You don't really need the new 2.0 canbus version but it isn't much more than a 1.3u anyway and causes the least issues.

You will at least be able to log, and if you're lucky and it isn't locked out you will be able to access the map. I would remove the MBC, get the cable, try to read the map, run learning view, and log the car. If you can read the map, post it, otherwise post the learning view and the logs (upload to google docs as a spreadsheet). It isn't as complicated as it sounds, and you shouldn't drive the car hard at all until you do ALL of these things.

Not sure about this one, you might have to use an old version of ECU flash or muddle around so research it first:
    BFM Subaru Impreza WRX STI Legacy Tactrix 1.3 OBD2 Flash Cable ECU Tuner CHIP | eBay

This is GTG (you need the '02 reflash connector for later):
    Tactrix Openport 2.0

They also have ECU service now I see - if you are locked out contact them and see if they can fix it:
    ECU Flash Recovery

Time to read up - it is your only hope when getting a previously modified car to sort out.

OPENSOURCE TUNING: Your questions answered here!!! RomRaider + Tactrix

ok heres the updated the plugs are fairly new no marks of carbon or foul oder of fuel they are ngk irid. so now im gonna move to the mbc and re run the factory one and reset computer any tips on what i else i should check before turn key????

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    The software is free - opensource.

Actually they have a new ultra cheap version of the cable out that is advertised to work on the old models (like ours). I would search for some reviews, and if it isn't clearly going to work then get the real tactrix cable. You don't really need the new 2.0 canbus version but it isn't much more than a 1.3u anyway and causes the least issues.

You will at least be able to log, and if you're lucky and it isn't locked out you will be able to access the map. I would remove the MBC, get the cable, try to read the map, run learning view, and log the car. If you can read the map, post it, otherwise post the learning view and the logs (upload to google docs as a spreadsheet). It isn't as complicated as it sounds, and you shouldn't drive the car hard at all until you do ALL of these things.

Not sure about this one, you might have to use an old version of ECU flash or muddle around so research it first:
    BFM Subaru Impreza WRX STI Legacy Tactrix 1.3 OBD2 Flash Cable ECU Tuner CHIP | eBay

This is GTG (you need the '02 reflash connector for later):
    Tactrix Openport 2.0

They also have ECU service now I see - if you are locked out contact them and see if they can fix it:
    ECU Flash Recovery

Time to read up - it is your only hope when getting a previously modified car to sort out.

OPENSOURCE TUNING: Your questions answered here!!! RomRaider + Tactrix

thanks for all the info ,, sorry i just read it after previous message , will update after mbc disconnect

ok update on plugs and mbc disconnect , ran perfect for about 2 miles i got onto the highway and got into it alittle and surprise surprise a big cut out in higher rpm and cel light came back on drove it right to advanced for a code and it cam back wastegate seloniod po244 but no more misfires. so now what ??

I Support ClubWRX
    You are still overboosting. The stock boost control system needs to be all put back together correctly with stock diameter tubing, restrictor pill, & T. and you need a standard stage II map (which can be had for free).

You still need to find out what map is on there and fix it or get a map that is correct, so you still need to do what I said above. You just have to know and it is really the only place to start. If it is a map that is actually designed to run the MBC then I think the boost control mapping will be unsuitable for the stock boost control system and lead to the continued overboosting. If we can ascertain whether it is a good map for an MBC you can put it back on and set it correctly from the logs. IMO a boost gauge is required for that setup though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07_Subaru_ServiceBulletin_2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	102289

I Support ClubWRX
    I doubt the car is tuned. FYI-Don't buy a modded car unless you know what your getting into. The problem is the TBE and no tune in the colder weather. Also that BFM cable does not reflash 02-03 WRX's.
    Last edited by Donkey; 02-09-2012 at 08:31 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

getting frustrated,, cel light was out after went and bought all the factory vac lines and the little restrictor etc, etc boost feels alot better more controled state even when its all full boost nice and smooth , stepped on the gas after reseting the computer again and the f'in light came back on dont know code yet till later ,, DOES ANYONE WANA BUY A WRX WAGON ,
    Last edited by djmoye; 02-09-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    I doubt the car is tuned. FYI-Don't buy a modded car unless you know what your getting into. The problem is the TBE and no tune in the colder weather. Also that BFM cable does not reflash 02-03 WRX's.
    what do you suggest , get a tune for tbe , i guess what is getting me is i did all the same basic mods to my 04 wrx and never threw any codes why this car,

Quote Originally Posted by djmoye View Post
    what do you suggest , get a tune for tbe , i guess what is getting me is i did all the same basic mods to my 04 wrx and never threw any codes why this car,
    But did you get a tune (or at least a stage 2 map?) on your 04?

Something is up with it overboosting...comes down to something in the boost system whether it's the MBC being incorrectly set, not having the stock BCS, missing a restrictor pill, COLD WEATHER, not tuned, wastegate actuator stuck?, etc...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    But did you get a tune (or at least a stage 2 map?) on your 04?

Something is up with it overboosting...comes down to something in the boost system whether it's the MBC being incorrectly set, not having the stock BCS, missing a restrictor pill, COLD WEATHER, not tuned, wastegate actuator stuck?, etc...
    hey mike,
    as far as the 04 no never tuned it and it was all turbo xs stuff , not like it really matters but no mapping and no codes,,,

now here is what i did today , first off i started out with a cel code po244 , then i went to subie dealer and bought all new vac lines restrictor pill and reset the computer again ,
    big change in the car smoother and better turbo response no sputtering at higher rpms. although i got a cel light again so i just took it up to advanced to read the code again and now the po244 is not there but my #2 and #4 cly are misfiring ... so now what should i do , i already checked the plugs and they look to be new and not carboned or fueled up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.