Tool Set Recommendation - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Tool Set Recommendation within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; That was me going on about the 6pt. Gear wrenches are not 6pt, and you can't hammer on them anyways. ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That was me going on about the 6pt.

Gear wrenches are not 6pt, and you can't hammer on them anyways. They are nice for after a bolt is broken free though.

These are the kind you can beat the crap out of with a BFH.

Amazon.com: Craftsman 9 pc. Metric 6 pt. Combination Wrench Set, # 47235: Home Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Emphasis View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. Truly helpful.

__

So I've been on the hunt for a socket and wrench set as you've mentioned; and I found these on Amazon:

Amazon.com: GearWrench 9416 16 Piece Metric Master Ratcheting Wrench Set: Home Improvement

and

Amazon.com: GearWrench 9902 16 Piece Flex-Head Combination Ratcheting Wrench Set Metric: Home Improvement

--
    I didn't see the wrenches being described as 6pt. or otherwise, which another posted mentioned was important. Unless they're a universal type. If someone with more experience can chime in on these it would be extremely helpful.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    well having now over $100,000(no not just ratchets) in tools in the shop those tool truck bastards still find ways to get my cash...

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    That was me going on about the 6pt.

Gear wrenches are not 6pt, and you can't hammer on them anyways. They are nice for after a bolt is broken free though.

These are the kind you can beat the crap out of with a BFH.

Amazon.com: Craftsman 9 pc. Metric 6 pt. Combination Wrench Set, # 47235: Home Improvement
    Thanks for the reply. The thing is, I'm looking for a set that includes 17mm (both socket and ratchet), so I can start off with doing an oil change on my car. Combination wrench I guess would be preferred/have more use. If it makes sense for me to buy that one wrench separate, then I suppose I don't mind.

Basically I'm trying to get a set that covers the aforementioned sizes, while at the same time getting what I need to do the oil change.

I Support ClubWRX
    I was just showing you the pic.

They make various sets, just search for a deal if you want.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

I'd get the 18 pc. though.
    Last edited by mycologist; 04-11-2012 at 05:47 PM.

I was just showing you the pic.

They make various sets, just search for a deal if you want.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

I'd get the 18 pc. though.
    This? Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Another newb question also. I noticed it doesn't mention 6 pt., but I'll assume since the wrench is bigger more points are added; thus it will accommodate for 6 pts. anyway?

In that case I'll get that and this: Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

get craftsman 3/8 flex ratchet, real good quality and very handy tool only $30. also the craftsman screw driver pack is cheap i got it for about 15, has three flat heads and one phillips, very heavy duty and good quality also, you can use them to move brake pistons back all day no problem. IMO you can never have enough tools. also i wouldnt recommend buying a set. if i were starting out id get impact sockets, 1/2 and 3/8 from 8-21 at least, also extensions of varying lenght.

LOL full time mechanic?

I Support ClubWRX
    This? Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Another newb question also. I noticed it doesn't mention 6 pt., but I'll assume since the wrench is bigger more points are added; thus it will accommodate for 6 pts. anyway?

In that case I'll get that and this: Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
    Ah, no. I didn't see the 18 piece was 12 point. Don't get that.

The nuts are all 6 pts. - it doesn't matter what the size is. The wrenches are either 12 point or 6 point. the 12 point will fit in more positions (angles) but will not hold as well. If you have to hammer on them, they will strip the bolt by rounding over the corners. The 6 pt. will cover the whole flat of the nut so it will not strip. Same for sockets. It is nice to also have the gear wrenches because they will go on the nut in any direction you need (like a regular 12 pt. but better).

I Support ClubWRX
    Those are good sockets. Eventually you need the deep ones and the shallow ones (deep for bolts that stick out past the nut, shallow for tight spaces).

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think the car has any 12 pt nuts actually (I'm not sure because I think one of my cars does but I don't think it's the Subaru).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sc13 View Post
    LOL full time mechanic?
    Once was, now I just play at home..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Ah, no. I didn't see the 18 piece was 12 point. Don't get that.

The nuts are all 6 pts. - it doesn't matter what the size is. The wrenches are either 12 point or 6 point. the 12 point will fit in more positions (angles) but will not hold as well. If you have to hammer on them, they will strip the bolt by rounding over the corners. The 6 pt. will cover the whole flat of the nut so it will not strip. Same for sockets. It is nice to also have the gear wrenches because they will go on the nut in any direction you need (like a regular 12 pt. but better).
    Thank you. The information has been tremendously helpful.

Finally, I'm looking to get a torque wrench and long breaker bar also. I've come across these- Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive TW605 Torque Wrench: Automotive

I've also seen 'micro-tork' type torque wrenches; which I presume would be for smaller nuts and such as opposed to wheel lug-nuts? Thanks again for the knowledge.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thank you. The information has been tremendously helpful.

Finally, I'm looking to get a torque wrench and long breaker bar also. I've come across these- Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive TW605 Torque Wrench: Automotive

I've also seen 'micro-tork' type torque wrenches; which I presume would be for smaller nuts and such as opposed to wheel lug-nuts? Thanks again for the knowledge.
    That torque wrench sounds fine unless you are rebuilding a motor maybe. I could not find the torque range though. I've gotten by without a small one. It it is 110-120 max. there are some suspension bolts it might not do all the way to max torque, but if you've gotten that far you need an alignment anyways and they can torque it the last bit for you lol.

I'm pretty sure I could break that bar, but if it has a lifetime warranty who cares.

I'm a little late to this party, but I've had a Husky socket/ratchet set for a few years that has been great. It was about $70 at the time, and well worth it. I've been able to do basic mods thus far with it (short shifter, bushings, taillights) and oil changes (1st today!). A good set of grippy screwdrivers, vice grips and an 18V power drill are also good to have. Next on my list is a torque wrench.

I definitely believe in buying a quality tool once rather than buying some cheapo tool three times over.
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12