Advice needed - blown head gasket....

This is a discussion on Advice needed - blown head gasket.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of you could give your opinions on this situation.... I have a 2005 ...

Advice needed - blown head gasket....

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you could give your opinions on this situation....

I have a 2005 WRX (2.0L), I'm the only owner and I have babied it through all of it's 172,000 miles (highway).
    I have done to date all the repairs myself (except timing belt maintenance @ 130K miles, had that done).

A few weeks ago I had a radiator blow, which I replaced but had been reading about how often the head gasket will cause the radiator to blow.... and I had been watching it closely, and found antifreeze on the oil dipstick. The car hasn't been driven since, and it never overheated.

Took it to a reputable shop that handles performance vehicles, and it is definitely the head gasket....

Here are my options:
    • Replace head gasket + valve job
    • Try to find slightly used engine and replace the whole engine (slightly more cost than the first option)
    • Get brand new short block + replace head gasket and get valve job done (slightly more expensive than 2nd option)
    • Scrap it and get a new car

What do you think would be the best option, considering the cars mileage? I love my car... I always want to have a WRX, I just can't quite afford a new car payment right now. I also don't want to invest in the first option then have something go in the short block....

Any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated :-) Thanks!

-Lisa

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Depending on whether the rest of the car was in a condition that I was willing to bet would allow me to drive it for another, say, three years of so, I would find a used engine (if the rest is in poorer condition) or go the short block route (if the rest is in better condition).

Consider also your local smog laws before proceeding, you need to be able to register the car since it will hopefully be on the road again for a while.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+1 to SD above...

what's the condition of the rest of the car? How's the transmission feel? Any other issues or gremlins that have been noticed?

That being said...I don't suspect the block would have any major damage as long as you took it off the road and didn't drive hard when the suspected problem may have been occurring. Regardless, it's gotta get pulled...so get it inspected. Do some compression/leakdown testing to be sure the block is in tact and go from there. I suspect you'd be ok with the first option.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    +1 to SD above...

what's the condition of the rest of the car? How's the transmission feel? Any other issues or gremlins that have been noticed?

Thanks guys! The rest of the car is probably OK, although it really hasn't given me much trouble to date.

The transmission - there was a low whining noise going approx 30-45 mph for a little while about 6 months ago, I replaced the rear differential fluid, and it didn't go away right away, but I hadn't noticed it in the last few months...
    I still have the factory clutch (172,000 miles on it), not sure if and when that will go.... but it still feels good.

No other gremlins that I've noticed...

Tranny fluid change as well at all recently?

Sounds like you've taken good care of it. No reason to think the clutch will go as long as you drive it right...

Given you suggesting it's still in good shape, I'd stick with the first option. Inspect it once its pulled apart and make a decision there.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning