Engine wont start after cai install HELP
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Engine wont start after cai install HELP within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys just finished installing my cold air intake. After everything has been bolted up and secured i went to ...

Engine wont start after cai install HELP

Hey guys just finished installing my cold air intake. After everything has been bolted up and secured i went to start her up and she died after about a second. The motor starts up fully but it wont stay idle for even a second any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The simple solution is to fit the correct intake again. You likely have the MAF oriented incorrectly (the harness part of the unit must face towards the nose of the car), have not fully reconnected the harness, and/or have introduced a vacuum leak. See the link in my signature for more general info on intakes (I am not a fan; others are).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    You likely have the MAF oriented incorrectly (the harness part of the unit must face towards the nose of the car),
    My $ is on this
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

MAF issue.

What year WRX and what kind of intake?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Fixed it! Ok so the intake was some cheap $40 ebay brand one, and it came in 2 pieces. So the closest to the motor was on backwards therefore the MAF was facing the wrong way. Feel kinda dumb, cuz while i was putting on the MAF i was wondering if it mattered which way it faced. Oh well, Shes driving good now. Thanks for your help guys!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by k20zak View Post
    Fixed it! Ok so the intake was some cheap $40 ebay brand one, and it came in 2 pieces. So the closest to the motor was on backwards therefore the MAF was facing the wrong way. Feel kinda dumb, cuz while i was putting on the MAF i was wondering if it mattered which way it faced. Oh well, Shes driving good now. Thanks for your help guys!!
    You're welcome, but I have some reservations about just how "good" she's actually driving. It does not sound like the intake is brilliant, and the cars are generally a bit demanding when it comes to metering air and fueling for that air. I doubt the intake is doing anything for the car, and frankly if it were me, I'd remove it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    There is an arrow on the MAF the indicates which direction the air should flow.

Ok so the intake was some cheap $40 ebay brand one, and it came in 2 pieces.
    Don't be surprised if your car runs like ass anyway. Cheep intakes don't do well on any WRX. Even more "expensive" ones like Injen are complete garbage...you should go back to the stock airbox.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    You're welcome, but I have some reservations about just how "good" she's actually driving. It does not sound like the intake is brilliant, and the cars are generally a bit demanding when it comes to metering air and fueling for that air. I doubt the intake is doing anything for the car, and frankly if it were me, I'd remove it.
    Hmm well i mean i didn't expect it to do anything really performance wise, just got it bc i like the sound. Do you think leaving it on there for a few months will harm it? Im waiting for my friend to start his STI build, hes going to be giving me his injen intake, his brand name TBE (not sure which brand), sti turbo and sti top mount. At which time ill replace all the bolt ons and get the access port for the stg 2 map. Ill wait to install the turbo till i have all the necessary upgrades and chose a tune shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Don't be surprised if your car runs like ass anyway. Cheep intakes don't do well on any WRX. Even more "expensive" ones like Injen are complete garbage...you should go back to the stock airbox.
    Lol such a pain in my back. Do you think leaving on will prove harmful?

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you think leaving it on there for a few months will harm it? Im waiting for my friend to start his STI build, hes going to be giving me his injen intake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Lol such a pain in my back. Do you think leaving on will prove harmful?
    It's one of those things that you won't ever know what the harm will be until the harm has already occurred. For the 02-07 WRX/STIs...I wouldn't put anything other than a Cobb, SPT, K&N Typhoon, or APS intake. Or stock...

And don't bother with the Injen...that one is known to cause more harm than good.

Your stock one is good to power levels well above what you have. If you want the sound, do the snorkus delete on the stock intake.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.