Impreza car key transponder
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Impreza car key transponder within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone... already introduced myself last time..am Steven from Mauritius island. Just bought a subaru impreza 1.6 yr 2002 ...project: ...

Impreza car key transponder

Hello everyone... already introduced myself last time..am Steven from Mauritius island. Just bought a subaru impreza 1.6 yr 2002 ...project: an STI swap soon

Need a lil advice... infact as u are all aware the scooby key is equipped with this transponder for security. My big problem is that ive got only one such key...and last week i nearly had a heart attack!!! i misplaced it at work and after 3 hours of long search managed to get it from the lounge cleaning guys!(Thanks god!)

My big problem here in my small island is that we dont get such transpoder equipped keys,,, ive made only 2 metal cut keys but which r useless wen it comes to starting up the engine..

So guys, need ure advices..wat would you do in ma place?
    i got many ideas in my head...:
    1) Cant i keep the original transponder key in the car hidden itself? in such a manner that it always decode the security?... infact in my country car theft is not such an issue..as we are small..only 1 million haitants... its rare we get stolen cars..
    So if anyone ever did that.. would be glad if could help out..

2) another option would be to buy a second transponder equipped key on ebay..which i already spotted ..not too expensive about $13... but my big problem again is where to codify this key? the big con in mauritius is that the subaru representatives are not reliable..and am pretty sure they wont be able to codify it... so guys is there a means it can be codified or can it be done abroad? cant understand till now how do they codify it? is there any reference of either my car ecu or chassis number they need to do so?

3) Glue the key to my hand LOL

Last but not least i need 2 confirmation as follows:

1)can anyone advise me on which 17'' tyres would be ok for an 1.6ts bug eye? i was thinking of 225/45/R17... any ideas plz thx

2) what is the oil capacity of this EJ16 engine? googled it thpugh cant find any link 4 litres i guess?

Grateful if you could please help me out mates...thx in advance for ure valuable support which am certain ill obtain
    Cheers
    Steven

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hi Steven,

I'm not 100% sure that hiding the key in the car (would have to be close to the ignition assembly because of antenna range) would work, but you could try it.

As for getting the key coded correctly, a dealership would be your best bet. In the US they require you to have your registration, ID, and your current key and new key in order to do it for you. I don't know how much it would cost though.

Did your TS come with 17" wheels or 16" wheels? I ask because the bugeyes came with 16" wheels here in the US.

For your oil capacity, it will be listed in your owners manual under fluid capacities, which I hope your car came with because I can't seem to find one listed online anywhere.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Thx a lot Anub... ya i will try it out and let you know if it works or not. Infact my bug eye came stock with 15'' rims with 195/60/r15 tyres.
    Ya i checked the owners manual and the engine oil capacity is 4Lts and transmission oil level for a manual is 3.5lts

I Support ClubWRX
    Good info to have. With most things maintenance related, you can usually find capacities and even part numbers for much of the standard stuff like light bulbs and spark plugs in the owners manual. It's a good thing to have .

Please do let us know about your key adventures.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe non-USDM is different, but no Impreza here in 2002 had an immobilizer key. Are you sure?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Maybe non-USDM is different, but no Impreza here in 2002 had an immobilizer key. Are you sure?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	immobiliser_type.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	102369

Cody

Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Ah, how strange. According to the chart my car should have one ('03 turbo)... but they don't.

OP - Sorry for the digression, and good luck finding a key.

Hi mates ya mine got one... its a direct import from singapore...still trying to figure out where can i do this copy...it must me overseas for sure coz here its impossible
    Dont anyone know som1 in his/ her country who does such keys? i may enter into contact with them and try to convince them to do one for me...i can prove that the car is mine ..everything legal.
    thx

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I'm sure most Subaru dealerships here are able to do it, I know all of the ones near me can. But I don't know what's involved between the different markets. USDM cars are usually quite different from EDM, JDM, etc...

There are people who offer the service online, but I can't speak to their trustworthiness. Plus, you'll have to deal with not being able to drive a car for an unknown amount of time.

Myco, just noticed that, I know things changed a little bit as far as keyless entry and what not in 2003, maybe that's a part of that? Could be that the chart is just a bit wrong. I know the WRX's didn't get the transponder keys until 2006, 2005 for STi's.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Well I'm sure most Subaru dealerships here are able to do it, I know all of the ones near me can. But I don't know what's involved between the different markets. USDM cars are usually quite different from EDM, JDM, etc...

There are people who offer the service online, but I can't speak to their trustworthiness. Plus, you'll have to deal with not being able to drive a car for an unknown amount of time.

Myco, just noticed that, I know things changed a little bit as far as keyless entry and what not in 2003, maybe that's a part of that? Could be that the chart is just a bit wrong. I know the WRX's didn't get the transponder keys until 2006, 2005 for STi's.

Yeah, I don't know when they were changing things up. They have a few ?? in the table so it must be a work in progress and not official. Nice find still I'm sure most of it is right and I was not aware. It makes me contemplate car theft rates in different regions but it seems like the US needed them more than some of the folks that got them early.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.