Not getting any power from my turbo.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Not getting any power from my turbo. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So the problem is that whenever I try to hit boost 2500-2800rpm my car jerks back and forth slightly. I ...

Not getting any power from my turbo.

So the problem is that whenever I try to hit boost 2500-2800rpm my car jerks back and forth slightly. I can hear the turbo spool really loud but it does not generate any noticeable power. I originally thought that is was because I had a blown HG, but I just barely finished my motor rebuild a couple of days ago. I tore it all down and had the heads machined and replaced the HG's and am still having the same problem. And when driving my car home from my buddies house (where I tore my motor apart) I started generously smoking from under my hood and when I parked the car in my driveway the temp gauge started rising quickly. I was also smoking ALOT from my turbo area...

Can someone please give some insight on my dilemma??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why was the motor rebuilt? What was replaced? Are you getting any codes? Have you checked all of your connections? How old is the turbo? The car? The motor? Who rebuilt it?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

My motor was not fully rebuilt but I just replaced the HG's and had the heads machined. I'm not getting any codes at all and Yes I have checked all of my connections two or three times to make sure. The turbo Is off of my buddies WRX that he sold, I think it had 40k maybe 50k on it, and the Motor has 137xxx. And I am the one who has done all of the work on this car.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like you might have a sizable boost leak, a fluid leaking (coolant line to the turbo?) and need to burp your cooling system.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I just pulled it into the garage again tonight so i will check for boost leaks! I also know that i have some type of fluid leak, PS maybe coolant as well. I've burped the coolant system numerous times but i'm not sure if i got everything out. Its very frustrating hahaha

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by deano23 View Post
    I just pulled it into the garage again tonight so i will check for boost leaks! I also know that i have some type of fluid leak, PS maybe coolant as well. I've burped the coolant system numerous times but i'm not sure if i got everything out. Its very frustrating hahaha

Yup, it is that. You can't burp it if it is leaking - kind of like brake lines right? Is the smoke light colored?

Well I think i found out the general area where it is leaking! Its coming from the rear of the thermostat housing.. I don't know if there is a specific name for it... I originally thought that it was the coolant hose coming from under the Thermostat housing so I drained all of the coolant from that hose and then put a new rubber elbow on then filled it back up again. It is still leaking.. but it looks like it is coming from above the coolant line twoards the top of the thermostat housing.. I have no idea what this "part" is called or how to go about diagnosing if this is even the problem. And yes the smoke is white like a burn out kind of smoke but not as thick and it smells very sweet so I know its coolant..

I Support ClubWRX
    The thermostat housing mounts directly onto the water pump. Is that interface the source of the leak?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yes it is SDGR. Alot of people told me to replace the water pump while I had my motor apart but I didnt listen to them because I didnt think that it was relevant to my situation. But now I guess its something that I should take a look at!

Just bought the water pump today and going to put it on in a couple hours! we'll see how this works out!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by deano23 View Post
    Just bought the water pump today and going to put it on in a couple hours! we'll see how this works out!
    So are you also trying to find a boost leak or what is causing you turbo issue? You don't just want that thing trying to flow a ton of extra air.

I am hopping that changing the water pump might solve my problem.. I was having this problem before I had the HG problem and then it was quickly fixed everytime i poured coolant in then it would go away when I started to over heat.. So maybe my original hypotheses is correct?? Maybe my turbo is not getting cooled and that is causing it to not generate any power?? Because In theory If I had a boost leak then I would still get SOME power from my turbo rather than a loss of power. I have had boost leaks in the past due to a gaping hole in a coupler and I could still hit boost. That is why I think it is much more than just a boost leak... But I could be totally wrong? I dont know much about diagnosing the problem but tell me what to do and i'll get it done..

So I got the water pump on and fixed my coolant leak! I am almost positive that the coolant system is burped properly this time! However I still am having issues with my turbo.. I have gone over every single coupler, vaccum line, turbo inlet hose, and BOV lines that I can possibly find. I went to the Subaru dealership today and they said that it might be a clog in my exhaust? is this even relevant to my problem?? Could i possibly have a blown turbo?? Thanks

Turbo could very well be the problem...was it a stock TD04 off your buddy's WRX or something aftermarket?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

It was a stock TD04. He bought a TD04 off of someone so the he could get it rebuilt and not have to park his car for a week. so I took the one that he bought (because I thought it was going to be better) and gave him mine so that he could rebuild/use that turbo... So yes it was a stock TD04.. How would i test if it is bad? or should I just take it out and have it rebuilt?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.