Hello guys. I just bought my first wrx and first subi last wednesday. I noticed something weird when I test drove it. I initially smelled a burning smell that sort of resembled the smell of a soldering iron burning the insulation off a wire. The dealer had put tire dressing on the engine bay so I thought it was that. Well its been over a week now and I smell this odor every once in a while. It doesn't happen on a specific occasion that I can tell.
Car is a 2005 Wrx all stock except some rims and tires
After I took it home I did not smell that odor again for a few days but after I did I realized my alarm started to sound as if the battery were dying. By alarm I mean the digital beeps you hear when you unlock/lock your car with the stock alarm system. Electrical/Burning smell and alarm sounding like its running out of juice sounds like an electrical problem to me. On the extreme, I was stuck on a bridge with the car in 1 ft snow for 15 mins on an uphill slope. I did not put the car in park I had my foot on the break pedal for that whole time. I heard a weird noise like a robot was powering down sort of like "eeeeeeeeeewwwwww" (starting at high pitch and going down like a draining sound) at which point all my warning lights started to blink: Oil temp, brake, awd, airbag etc. My lights dimmed, my compass turned to "00" and my heater shut off. My car stayed on but everything else went nuts. Then I finally got past the obstruction and started driving at 20mph. I heard a "Power up noise" the exact opposite of the first noise I heard and boom all the warnings went off, lights got bright and everything was fine again. Im kinda scared guys because this sounds pretty bad and I just bought the car!