Car started whining today then this!!!! HELP!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Car started whining today then this!!!! HELP! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have no clue how this happened but just the other day I heard a whining, and then today when ...

Car started whining today then this!!!! HELP!

I have no clue how this happened but just the other day I heard a whining, and then today when I got home i checked under my hood and found this awesomeness. Anyone have any type of clue what it could be … the belt itself is loose, and then there's this strange circular thing that looks half shredded… please help

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8858.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	101930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9775.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	101931

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It looks like the tensioner seized and failed. Get two new authentic Subaru belts and another circular thing (pulley) and replace them. Since the bolt looks worn someone's been in there at some point.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

My car is a 2003 Subaru WRX, Stage 2, 116k miles on it. It runs like a dream. If it helps the A/C also just RECENTLY stopped working, I was doing some looking and this might have something to do with that as well. Thank you for your time!

I'm going to have this towed to the dealership tomorrow and fixed I hope. Unless there is a way to do this one your own then I'll be more then happy to do it. What would you suggest?

It looks like the alternator belt is fine? No reason to get this towed if only the AC belt is busted. Just get the AC belt out from under there before driving so it doesn't get caught up in the alternator belt.

These parts are so easy to replace with even the simplest set of tools. There is no need to pay someone to do this. Plenty of information on how to replace these already on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by sdlocsrf View Post
    It looks like the alternator belt is fine? No reason to get this towed if only the AC belt is busted. Just get the AC belt out from under there before driving so it doesn't get caught up in the alternator belt.

These parts are so easy to replace with even the simplest set of tools. There is no need to pay someone to do this. Plenty of information on how to replace these already on the site.
    So just cut the Alternator belt off? just order new belts, and tensioners and pulleys?

Nooo, don't cut the alternator belt (the one that is intact). You will be DOA long before you get to the auto parts store for replacement parts. It looks like only your AC belt is broken, or off the track, just remove that one until you can get around to replacing the belts. You will be without AC until you fix this. While you are in there anyways, replace both belts, they are cheap.

There is tons of information on this issue and how to take care of it yourself on this site if you take some time to search around. One example or here I came up with this in just one quick search, plenty more info and video tutorials on youtube for how to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by sdlocsrf View Post
    There is tons of information on this issue and how to take care of it yourself on this site if you take some time to search around. One example or here I came up with this in just one quick search, plenty more info and video tutorials on youtube for how to do this.
    I love instructional videos on youtube...sometimes i forget that they are all user uploaded and that its not a complete database of every repair or modification and get upset when i cant find something (which is rare)
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3772.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	236.6 KB 
ID:	101968

So I found this just hanging by the bottom of what the AC belt. No clue what it is.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbrady View Post
    I'm going to have this towed to the dealership tomorrow and fixed I hope. Unless there is a way to do this one your own then I'll be more then happy to do it. What would you suggest?
    The dealer is the most expensive option for getting this simple problem fixed. If you can't tackle the job yourself, any local mechanic can perform it for 1/3 of the dealer rape you would experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jjbrady View Post

So I found this just hanging by the bottom of what the AC belt. No clue what it is.
    That's the other half of the idler pulley.

Mine did the same exact thing a couple weeks ago, I just cut the ruined belt off and bought a new pulley online. You can drive it with the AC belt off, but the defrost is not as good. I'm still driving it like this because I'm more worried about dealing with the other problems it's having.

You can also get the parts directly from your dealer if they have a parts shop (which I think most do?). I have found that half the time the parts guy will walk me through the install verbally if I am confused about anything when I go to pick up my parts.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.