New Brakes making unusual ticking noise while braking
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New Brakes making unusual ticking noise while braking within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am getting an unusual ticking noise while braking after doing a recent brake job front and back on my ...

New Brakes making unusual ticking noise while braking

I am getting an unusual ticking noise while braking after doing a recent brake job front and back on my 02 wrx. I put on new brembo blanks and hawk hps pads both front and back. The brakes were properly "bed in" and the car brakes normally whether routine stopping or emergency stopping with the new pads/rotors. I did not disconnect any lines so bleeding was not needed. I have done brakes on this car 3 times before with no issues. Aside from the noise all seems fine. The noise is only heard when braking at low speeds. When not braking there is no noise, and at high speeds (30+) all seems normal. The volume of the tick increases with the brake pressure and the rythm of the ticks frequency is directly related to the cars speed, i.e. more ticks per second the faster I am going at the time, the frequency slows as I come to a stop. It sounds like a nonmetallic noise, almost as if someone was taking a small rubber mallet and tapping it on a thick (damped) piece of metal. After the car has warmed up for about 10 minutes the ticking noise stops altogether.

I am not positive if it is coming from front or rear, though it seems more like the rear. I pulled the rear brakes apart last night to inspect and could not find any contact points that could be making the noise. What I did find that was that on one side the rubber gasket/boot (sorry not sure of proper term for the rubber part around the piston is) surrounding the piston on the caliper was all "crinkled". It was not neatly folded up in the circular pattern that a normal caliper piston boot/gasket is. I took a picture, sorry if it is a little out of focus, seemed more clear when I took it. There is no fluid leaking from the caliper (red material is brake grease) and there is no sponginess in the brake pedal, so leads me to think all is fine? Could this be causing the noise issue? If it is not causing the noise issue is it something that warrants replacing the caliper? Attachment 101919

My last set of rotors had gotten way below the minimum thickness, not sure if that could be causing any of this? Also when doing the rears, I was stupid and had the ebrake on while trying to get the rear rotors off...yes i know . Anyways I tried pulling on the rotor for a good 5 minutes before realizing this. Could I have damaged the e-brake in a manner that would make noise when the normal brakes are engaged how I described above?

Anyways I will be pulling apart the fronts tonight or tomorrow and am hoping that maybe someone has run into this issue before and can point me in the right direction or suggest some potential causes. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I doubt the problem is the E-brake. Never heard of this particular problem. Did you grease the pads where they sit in the sliders? Unrelated but I would have bleed the brakes anyways. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and generally if your changing pads it's probably time to change the fluid as well.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Yea, slider/pad area greased. I do plan on bleeding new fluid in, just didn't have time when I did the initial work. Will be doing that this week sometime.

Is that red stuff CRC brake quiet? If so that's not grease.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

high temp brake grease that came with the Hawk Pads

Just checking. I've found most low speed noises come from friction.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

It's not making the noise at all today, so strange. Hoping it just goes away. I figure once I bleed the brakes this weekend, if it doesn't come back I just won't worry about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Just checking. I've found most low speed noises come from friction.
    No problem, appreciate the help. I would think the same normally, the noise was just weird tho, so confused.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.