Is "high mileage" oil bad?

This is a discussion on Is "high mileage" oil bad? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; It's all I can find in 10W40 synthetic....

Is "high mileage" oil bad?

It's all I can find in 10W40 synthetic.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    It's all I can find in 10W40 synthetic.
    No, it's fine.

You could also look for a 5W-40 synthetic and use that year-round in your area. Shell and Mobil both make this. The Shell is usually very well priced.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The Shell is usually very well priced.
    Where?
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

mrd
    Higher number of oil viscosity higher temperature is needed to get the engine lubricated. In coastal tx I'd say you'r okay with 10-40, but in lower temp areas 5-up would be a better choice.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    Where?
    If you can grin and bear it, Walmart. Look for 4QT jugs of Shell Rotella T6. Buy an additional quart to make the 5 you'll need, or better yet just buy two 4QT jugs and keep the left over oil for topping up and for the next oil change. They also stock M1 5W-40 (look for "diesel truck" M1 in that viscosity) but it is more expensive and not worth the extra $ over the Shell in my view.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.