Can I get an idiots guide to changing oil in a 2011 wrx sedan? Help me save $!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Can I get an idiots guide to changing oil in a 2011 wrx sedan? Help me save $!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; if you take your oil cap off before popping the drain, it'll drain a lot faster....

I Support ClubWRX
    if you take your oil cap off before popping the drain, it'll drain a lot faster.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Takes about 5 minutes to drain with the Fumoto valve.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I use a K&N oil filter and I always fill it up before I start changing the oil and let it sit, then when I am ready to put it on I top it off again. This way the oil filter is already full and the oil can go where it needs to be instead of having to wait til the oil pump fills it.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I didn't know about the Fram deal - is that when the stopped selling the black OEM filters?

I would wonder if a Fram filter that is built to Subaru's specifications would be materially different than one built by another manufacturer for Subaru. Still, it does give me pause.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know that Fram would be a limitation at this point. Subaru motors don't need an anti-drain valve, and the filtering medium should be adequate. The real issue is pressure, and from what I've seen only Subaru and STP sell filters with the correct bypass pressure anyway. I've used the STP on my Subaru and I've used Fram on my Toyota (but to be fair the Toyota only has 260,000 miles on the motor so it's not even broken in yet...).

At this point I shop by bypass pressure and if I can't find something within spec, I shop by price.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    explain the bypass pressure if you would spiros
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Generally,
    Subaru Oil Pump Specs as Relates to Filter Bypass - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Now those guys take lubrication very seriously, and it it unclear to me what would happen if one were to use a filter with an incorrect bypass pressure. Likely, absolutely nothing, since I think more people use the "wrong" filter than use the correct filter (there are only two sources of correct pressure filters in the US as far as I know...).

In the used oil analysis section on Bob's site there are lots of Subaru UOAs and the particulates are generally low regardless of filter used; I wonder if this means the bypass pressure issue isn't as much of an issue as some might think.

It seems from the specs and discussion that the filter is bypassed most likely at high rpm with cold oil, and this shouldn't really be happening all that much anyway.

Since I generally can get the "correct" filter, I do though.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
    gonna mod this a bit

Sorry I know this is an older post, but had a quick question about re-installing a new oil filter.

I've been changing the oil on my cars and motorcycles for years. I've always tightened it by hand and then gave a 1/4 ish turn with a filter wrench (the one that nicely fits over the end like a socket). However, when I review the manual for my 2011 WRX it recommends that the oil filter be tightened to 12 Nm. I did this the other day with my torque wrench and it seemed like I really had to tighten it on there ... more than I'm used to ... before I reached 12 Nm. To me it felt like it was overtighten ... but it was per factory specs. I just don't want to warp the gasket and end up with an oil leak. I was wondering what peoples thought are on this and what they typically do.

Thanks in advance!
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

I Support ClubWRX
    12 Nm is attainable by hand.

I never use a wrench on the filter in any of my cars. I tighten all the way by hand. Never a problem.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    12 Nm is attainable by hand.

I never use a wrench on the filter in any of my cars. I tighten all the way by hand. Never a problem.
    Roger, as long as it isn't slippery you can just tighten it by hand.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I ALWAYS tighten by hand. There is nothing worse than the occasional oil filter that has to be entirely dismantled to get off. Had a couple of those, usually the first one on the used car I got last. Never again. I'd rather have to tighten some more due to finding it leaking a bit...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

-_- I was never worried that I had an inappropriate filter until this thread got bumped. Now I've wasted an hour and developed a mild paranoia.
    David - '05 WRX

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123