Just bought a used 2005 WRX First time subaru owner making weird noises

This is a discussion on Just bought a used 2005 WRX First time subaru owner making weird noises within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone. I just bought my first car on my own. I had to take out a loan and I ...

Red face Just bought a used 2005 WRX First time subaru owner making weird noises

Hello everyone. I just bought my first car on my own. I had to take out a loan and I really love this car its amazing especially the pickup; however, I've never owned a subaru car nor know anything about boxer engines. I've looked stuff up online but am not satisfied. I have been experiencing a few things that I don't know if they are normal or not. I got extended warranty that covers everything but Im sure there is some 90 day clause in there. Anyway the first thing that is scaring me is the engine sounds a little bit like a truck engine. Not in loudness. What I mean is when you hear are at a stop next to a semi, you can hear a distinct gugg gugg gugg gugg gugg gugg gugg sound to it. Of course its pretty loud because it has a big engine and so my car seems to make the same noise but at a much lower volume. Its almost as if I can distinctly hear each cylinder fire. I guess I can compare it to how you can clearly hear each cylinder fire on a harley. So far I haven't heard nor felt any mistfires.

Second:
    When I checked under the hood I noticed a hardly audible ticking sound. On my other cars that has never been a good sign but since this is a different type of engine I am not sure if it is normal or not. You can only hear it if you open the hood.

Third:
    I turned my car on last night, (so far I have put 200 miles on it) and didn't let it warm up because I was so cold I just wanted to start driving and all of a sudden I started smelling gas inside the car. I made it home from my aunts (2.5 miles) and checked under the hood and smelled the gas around the lower right side of the intercooler. There was nothing else I could do then so I went inside and went to bed. Next morning I smelled it again but as soon as I started driving to work (38miles) and it warmed up I never smelled it again.

I hope these things aren't things to be too scared about. I heard one of my wheel bearings starting to go out too. On the expressway I can hear a slight rhythmic vibration on the right side.

The car is 2005 with 110,000 miles on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120119_092401.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	101858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120119_155108.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	101859

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The noises you describe are pretty much what the Subaru WRX boxer sounds like.

My dad described the boxer almost exactly like a Harley when I bought my first STI 5 years ago. Due to the firing configuration and due to the unequal length headers, the boxer does almost sound like a two stroke V-twin. These cars do not sound like your everyday Honda or Toyota.

The faint audible ticking is just the valves opening and closing in the heads. Normal. Every Subaru I've ever heard does that, including the two that I've had.

Are there any modifications on the car? Intake? Exhaust? Etc?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Hey Mikie thanks for the reply.
    As far as I know there are no mods but the rims. I was not told that there were any mods at the dealer. Having had credit for only 6 months I got an amazing deal financing that I couldn't turn down so I just kinda took it and ran. The dealer is a friend of my best friend and hes bought six cars from him so that was part of my justification for not really checking into it. So you say that the noises I hear are normal but what about the gas smell? I just drove it out to lunch (I let the car warm up this time) and I didnt even get a hint of gas smell this time. It was just that once that I didnt let it warm in. I still have 1 day to take it back due to illinois law so I am going to try to get it to a mechanic tonight if this crazy blizzard goes out.

I Support ClubWRX
    The noises sound normal.

The gas smell is potentially a well documented leak in one of the fuel lines. Subaru have issued a bulletin about this issue, and it is possible your car will be fixed for free if you are in the northern US. Look around here for the big "I smell gas and it's cold outside" thread for more info.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yes SD speaks a good point about the gas smell...take it to a Subaru dealer and mention the bulletin that came out about gas smell.

And hey, post up some pics of your exhaust and the engine bay, especially to the passenger side of the Intercooler. It's very possible that the dealer has no earthly idea what mods even would be to this car. Not saying they were trying to skirt you at all, but they just may not have a clue. So, we could help you with that
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    you mean an actual vtwin.. Not a two stroke vtwin.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Hey guys sorry for the delay. I got stuck on the road for 5 hours because of this snow. Thanks for the responses, that gas leak bulletin makes sense I am going to have to look into that some more. I have a big update for you guys. On the way home I got stuck on a bridge for about 15 minutes going uphill due to a mercedes cargo van blocking the only lane. Something out of the twilight zone happened to my car. I had started to notice my ABS light kept comming on for a split second a few minutes then all of a sudden it turned into the ABS and AWD lights turning on. Then all of a sudden my AWD and oil temp light blinked rapidly in unison with a clicking noise in unison with the blinking. Its still not over... Then my brake light went on. So basically I had 4 lights sporadically blinking. Theres more... I was completely stopped yet my rpm gauge was jumping from 0-1000 rpms over and over but my engine stayed still. Then... my lights all dimmed down to the point I thought my electricity cut out. After that my heater died out and came back on. I let go of the brake to see if the car died but nope, it coasted just fine. So this kept happening off and on I thought I was going to get stuck on there. As soon as I got around the damn truck and kept at an even 20mph pace my car returned to normal. As soon as I started driving I realized my car made a specific noise at the point at which it started working properly again. The only way I can explain it is it sounded like electricity was "juicing" like a shwueeeeeeeeeuuu "power on" robot type of deal. One thing I forgot to mention was my compass on my mirror turned into 2 0's also. At first I thought it was my alternator but it seems more computer related. What I dont understand is it only happened after being stuck for 15 mins without moving. I got to my mechanic and he said there was nothing wrong with my car, no engine problems no codes came up nothing. He only looked at the engine bay for 5-10 mins. Then he pulled a wiring diagram and found that fuse 40 was linked to everything in my electrical system that went haywire so he said there might be something wrong with that and to take it to the dealer to have them pull it out and check it. But he said it could have been caused by the car not recieving enough airflow into the engine bay since I was stuck for a while. This has never happened to me before in any other car. I am going to post videos of my needles and lights jumping on youtube and post the links here. Also another mechanic told me I had rod knock (hope not) so I will also post the ticking sound. There is actually 2. One on the drivers and one on the passengers. The drivers seems to have a wider bandwidth in its frequency spectrum, the passenger is more on the high end 13-16khz maybe.
    Last edited by Jorge10988; 01-20-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Hey Mikie, I will post a video instead along with all its clicking sounds

Knocking/Ticking sound under the hood (both follows the rpms)
    WRX Ticking (Piston Slap? Rod Knock?) - YouTube
    Electrical failure
    WRX electrical system going haywire - YouTube
    Attempt at the ticking sound from inside the cabin
    WRX Knocking Sound from inside cabin - YouTube

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The noise was your slipping alternator belt finally grabbing most likely. Your car was running out of juice would be my best guess.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb