Timing belt replacement

This is a discussion on Timing belt replacement within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I have an 04 WRX with 120k on it; I wanna replace the timing belt but I dont ...

Timing belt replacement

Hey guys, I have an 04 WRX with 120k on it; I wanna replace the timing belt but I dont know if I should replaced idler pulleys and tensioner too, cus they are crazy expensive, what are your thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Tensioner, definitely. I'd say definitely on the idler pulleys as well, but that's up to you. Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry. The timing system is extremely sensitive and extremely important, I wouldn't take any chances with any of it.

Better to spend the money now than 10 times the amount or more later.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    You can generally buy kits that come with belt,tensioner and pulleys all together. Generally saves some $$$
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Registered User 06ImprezaWRXSTI's Avatar
    +1 Spend the extra cash now. Like the other guys said better to be safe than sorry. My bugeye has 119K miles I bought it with bent valves because the timing belt gave up. And all the pulleys and idlers including water pump don't look too good.

Also replace the rear main seal, cam seals, oil pump seal. Best choice IMO.
    WTB: 02-07 Impreza WRX or STi crashed.

I Support ClubWRX
    I used Gates for everything except the pump gasket and thermostat gasket.

Get the thermostat itself, the pump gasket, the thermostat gasket, six cam seals (you need four), two crank seals (you need one), one crank bolt, two containers of blue Subaru prediluted coolant, one bottle of coolant conditioner, and a partridge in a pear tree from the dealer.

The bolt for one of the pulleys has changed length. See if you need one of those too. The pulley has changed width so depending on what your car has you may need the newer bolt too. I did not.

Do the outside belts also. Buy those from the dealer only since the imitation belts make noise.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I took covers of my car to see how it looks, and it has a Contitech(made by Continental) timing belt on it, does this mean it has been replaced?; Does anyone knows what is the brand for the stock timing belt?. Thanks everyone

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rockero View Post
    I took covers of my car to see how it looks, and it has a Contitech(made by Continental) timing belt on it, does this mean it has been replaced?;
    If your car is a US model, yes.

Does anyone knows what is the brand for the stock timing belt?. Thanks everyone
    Gates is the supplier in the US.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I did a background check before a bought it, and it did show to have been sold here in US; Has anybody ever heard of this Timing belt brand?, It doesn't seem to be quite as popular as Gates?

I Support ClubWRX
    Continental is a well known firm.

What is the best manual to get to for an 06? Book or an online source? How long does a TB job take?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 1brine1 View Post
    What is the best manual to get to for an 06?
    Subaru.

How long does a TB job take?
    A weekend.

dab
    Hi there, I have a 2002 bugeye with 17,000 genuine miles on the original cambelt, should I change it because of the age, do the belts degrade with age?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dab View Post
    Hi there, I have a 2002 bugeye with 17,000 genuine miles on the original cambelt, should I change it because of the age, do the belts degrade with age?
    It is past due. The owner's manual for the US car states 105,000 or 105 months (I think; in any case it specifies an age and you are certainly beyond it).

If you are curious, contact Gates and ask what effects ozone and/or other components of the atmosphere have on the belt over time, and go from there. You could ask directly if they recommend a change due merely to time.