Smoke coming from engine
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Smoke coming from engine within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought my car and I took it for a drive today and after an hour arrived home and ...

Smoke coming from engine

I just bought my car and I took it for a drive today and after an hour arrived home and was letting it cool down because i was kinda pushing it a little hard just to see how it felt (awesome btw)

But as I was sitting in my car idling in my drive way I noticed somke coming from the engine.

The temperature guage didnt register and change but I shut the engine off and popped the hood. It smelt like coolant, but I could be wrong.

My car is all stock Just bought it, I called the dealer and left a message because they werent there.

I know that in my old car I installed a SRI which required the coolant hose to be redirected and due to my shoddy install, was causing a coolant leak in the engine bay and making the temp guage turn up.

But I never got and smoke from that.

If anyone has an idea as to what it could be that would be awesome. But ultimatley its the dealers problem, I mean I JUST bought it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It could be multiple things...best thing is to have someone actually look at it in person and see where the smoke is coming from. Something may be burning off like oil if its leaking from somewhere or even coolant.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

initially i thought it was coolant. but the dealers a far drive frome me. so idk what to do. i dont want to pay some local mechanic to do it. but i also dont wanna risk the long drive up there either.

is there a quick way to tel?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Year of vehicle? Is there a warranty?

If you have any kind of warranty at all, don't do a damn thing to it or have any mechanic work on it, make the dealer take the hit.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KronosPerformance View Post
    It could be multiple things...
    exactly.

Only way to know is to have someone look at it.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2005 wrx. I mean theres a 2 month warranty from the dealer.

just thought maybe there was a common reason for this lol

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Browzer View Post
    2005 wrx. I mean theres a 2 month warranty from the dealer.

just thought maybe there was a common reason for this lol
    Thankfully, no.

You can take a look and see if a hose has come loose or something, but aside from that, let the dealership diagnose and fix it.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I have a feeling its a lose hose or something. well I hope its that simple.

Could be from dripped coolant, I mean the exhaust headers are RIGHT under the coolant reservoir tank and radiator.
    Just an observation...
    I had oil on my exhaust headers, it stunk and smoked for 2 days, day 2 being very light.
    Last edited by UEDan; 01-15-2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: "and radiator"

thanks. I'm hoping thats what it is. Altough idk why it would be happening to an unmodified car. I mean just now even though everythings supposed to be stock?

is that something that can happen to an unmodified car randomly?

Yeah, like you the smoke didn't show its ugly head until after I pushed the car. And since you said you just bought the car, they could have just topped of the coolant, resulting in a minor spillage.
    I continued to drive my car around for after seeing/smelling the smoke, but I saw it was coming from near the headers(so I kinda figured since I just had an oil change). could you tell specifically where the smoke is coming from? And just double check the radiator and reservoir levels, that should give you an idea weather it's a coolant leak or not.
    Last edited by UEDan; 01-15-2012 at 10:58 PM.

yeah I wasnt able to tell for sure. the thing that concerns me is that you also had the same problem when you pushed the car.

I mean it did get an oil change when they sold it to me.

I DID see coolant in the engine. so thats why im 75% sure thats the issue.

ill try to take a picture tomorrow if i can.

Check the level in the coolant reservoir, then check it again after a bit of driving. If you had a leak, chances are you'd be overheating. Also, FYI, coolant smells sweet when it burns. My guess is spillage from refilling. See if it's still smoking next time you go for a drive.
    -Holden
    Bugeye wagon - ERZ Uppipe - TurboXS Axleback - Swift Springs - JNA Lip

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Yeah, like you the smoke didn't show its ugly head until after I pushed the car. Pushing the car causes the headers to heat up even more, burning the crap thats on them And since you said you just bought the car, they could have just topped of the coolant, resulting in a minor spillage. If you look right right below the radiator you'll see the exhaust headers, you can see how a spill of coolant can cause smoking and burning of coolant.
    I continued to drive my car around for after seeing/smelling the smoke, but I saw it was coming from near the headers(so I kinda figured since I just had an oil change). could you tell specifically where the smoke is coming from? And just double check the radiator and reservoir levels, that should give you an idea weather it's a coolant leak or not. Just double check the levels, you'll have an idea of whats really going on after that. And my smoke problem completely went away after 2 days.
    [Bleep], I really need to re-read my posts.
    I know you said coolant, but since we have boxer engines everything that spills has the potential to get on the headers.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Coolant leaks are fairly common, as are radiator end tank cracks - you need to have it pressure tested. Also look for white residue. I'd have a good look around before trying to drive it in long distance, and keep an eye on the level in your overflow. You may want to mix up a jug to take with you.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.