Possible 02 trans problem starting
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Possible 02 trans problem starting within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was on the way to work this morning and it was snowing out. Have Blizzaks and the road was ...

Possible 02 trans problem starting

I was on the way to work this morning and it was snowing out. Have Blizzaks and the road was pretty clear so I don't think it was the car trying to grip the road. I shifted into 3rd and went to accel. and the car seemed to jump about 800 rpms and catch a bit hard. Didn't clunk or lash but it def. felt different. I replaced the clutch about 15K ago with a new clutch/flywheel/throw out bearing so I sure its not the clutch slipping. WRX is an 02 with 96K on it. Any thing I can do on a road test to verify if its a trans issue. No MIL light on. This was the first time it happenend. I can't say I'm easy on the trans but I don't beat on it or do launches but I do "drive" the car. Also can a timing belt starting to go exibit any driveability signs before it actually goes such as the concern I had described?

thanks for you wisdom.

I went and took it out at lunch to see if I could dupicate the concern. It did it this morning in 3rd gear and at lunch in 5th gear. I was at around 55 in 5th gear and it felt like it had a quick miss fire/slip for a split second around 2500 RPMs. Its almost like a tooth is missing on one gear and when the gear lines up just right and hits that missing tooth it jumps there. I'm just speculating but its weird how intermitant it does it. It's def. not a clutch type slip. Put RPMS up to 4500 in 5th going up a hill and let the clutch out and the RPMs drop right down (no lag or slip).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i could tell you its not a missing tooth, you would hear a whining while driving, an annoying one at that.

as for the clutch, i know it is new, but give it a test, short shift it to 4rd gear at say 25 mph, and lay into it to redline, the taller gear ratio and load will allow you to see if it is the clutch slipping or not, those conditions are when the grip of the clutch are most important, so if theres no slip there, you wouldnt have a slip elsewhere. another thing to consider is the axles, my buddy had replaced his clutch becasue it would rev like yours does once in awhile and feel like it was slipping, turns out the passenger front axle had broken inside the cv boot and was causing a ton of power loss.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.