03 Oil Pan change

This is a discussion on 03 Oil Pan change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I Have an 03 wrx and I was underneath checking everything out and noticed that my oil pan is verrrrrry ...

03 Oil Pan change

I Have an 03 wrx and I was underneath checking everything out and noticed that my oil pan is verrrrrry rusted. I was looking into changing it but my friend who is a mechanic took a closer look then i did and said it looked as if you had to drop the front engine cradle to get it off. does anyone know for sure what it entails to change one for sure?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Its an absolute pain in the ass. Even after getting everything out of the way, there are a bunch of small bolts to take off. Then even after doing that you still have to break the sealant which seems nearly impossible. As much as I am all for doing as much yourself as possible, this is one thing I would leave up to the professionals. Sinister (another forum member) and myself spent a very good chunk of time attempting to remove his before giving up. That was on an 06 and we already had to front sway bar and subframe dropped for other work so it should have been much easier but it wasn't.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

was
    Quote Originally Posted by nestico18 View Post
    I Have an 03 wrx and I was underneath checking everything out and noticed that my oil pan is verrrrrry rusted. I was looking into changing it but my friend who is a mechanic took a closer look then i did and said it looked as if you had to drop the front engine cradle to get it off. does anyone know for sure what it entails to change one for sure?
    On a 2002 you have to remove the air intake boot and air cleaner cover, intercooler, pitching stopper, upper radiator brackets, undercover, nuts to the front engine mounts. Then you have to lift the engine to remove the bolts that install the oil pan on the block. Then you have to cut the gasket with a special razor that turns at an angle and has a long handle. This is just one of the things that convince me that I will never buy a Subaru. I work on my son's WRX, and I'm glad to help him out, but to have to move an engine to get to an oil pan is just crazy IMHO.